Chapter 9: Lonely

Ace passed by the door I was holding almost bumping into me.

"He-Hello." I muttered as I watched him confused, a frown between my eyebrows.

Martina was rolling her eyes when she got in, changing her expression into a little smile as she saw me. "Hey, you look great. Luca must be drooling." She laughed before giving me a quick hug.

"Thanks." I mumbled nervously as I blushed at her words. Why was I acting so silly lately? "You look great too." And that was an understatement. She looked amazing and I was pretty sure she didn't even make the effort. She was just wearing black clothes and had some fake blood here and there. Ace didn't even bother dressing up, a casual shirt and jeans being his costume of the night.

I was wearing a soccer uniform that Luca lent me. I didn't have other options and he said it would look good on me. It was huge, but it did the trick. I couldn't really wear a ponytail or anything so a messy bun was placed on the top of my head. Now that I saw Martina, I felt a little self-conscious.

"What is wrong with him?" I asked, referring to Ace.

She shrugged. "Either he's mad because I was the one who drove us here, or he's mad because I don't let him have a puppy."

"I'm not mad because you drove!" He spatted childishly.

"Oh, so you're mad because of the puppy." She retorted and came to join me as I sat down on the couch.

"I-I'm not mad because of that either." He said stubbornly before going to Luca's bedroom, surely to go look for him.

"He had a dog, you know. He died just seven moths ago and I know he misses him a lot, I mean, they spent almost ten years together, but we just started living together. We are both really busy, I've recently started working and he's studying like crazy. We can't take care of an animal. And much less of a puppy. They give so much work and I don't wanna spend the day away from home knowing that it's all alone, or let it with a member of his family, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it. A pet is a big responsibility." I added, not knowing why Ace wouldn't just get that.

She sighed and shrugged. "Whatever."

Even though she said that, I knew the subject and the little argument with Ace was bothering her. She probably just wanted him to be happy, but couldn't give what he wanted to him at the moment. And I understood that.

Luca walked into the living room, wearing the same soccer uniform as I was. A big smile covering his enthusiastic face.

"You did not." I laughed.

"We're matching, Riri! Don't you like it?"

Ace rolled his eyes sitting in an armchair and Martina started laughing. "God Luca, you're so cute."

Ace brought his leg forward and kicked her lightly in the shin.

"You're cute too, Ace. Don't be jealous." She said clearly knowing she would embarrass him, a teasing smile on her face.

He scoffed, fighting a laugh as he got up, walking towards the kitchen.

"I'm gonna talk to him." Informed Martina, a little change on her mood, standing up too.

Luca sat down beside me and put an arm around my shoulders. "So what? You like it or not?"

I shrugged and laughed. "Yeah, I guess."

"Come on, we're totally couple goals." He added with one of those charming smiles. I tried not to freak out at the mention of us being a couple. Not really knowing if it was affecting me in the bad way, or in the good one.