Chapter 11 - We're Fine

(Kadynce's  POV)

Today is the day.

The day of my brother's wedding.

In just an hour, he will be binding himself to Jules forever. Someone that he loves, and confidently trusts to love him back.

I was envious.

I want what he has.

Just an ounce of it would suffice.

"Alright, you are all done." Lucia smiled, rubbing the top of my robe-covered shoulders.

She had just finished my makeup, it was now time to pull on my dress and play my part as one of Jules' bridesmaids.

I wasn't ready for this; I wasn't ready for this trip to be over. This wedding is the only reason that I'm even here with my family. Once this wedding is over, I'll be forced to go back to North Carolina with Jake.

I have no choice.

Today will be the last day with my family.

Tomorrow will be Nikkol's goodbye to her father until her sixth birthday. I predict a complicated departure, considering, she wouldn't let him leave the house yesterday to pick up Hunter from school.

I hate that I have distilled this type of anxiety in Nikkol; the worry that she will never see her father again.

I found out a lot from her yesterday.

She hates Jake.

She made that absolutely clear.

I know Jake heard her.

What he heard her say, I will pay for.

I continue to get punished for things that Nikkol says.

I don't mind it because I will take whatever punishment to protect my daughter from that monster.

Right now, I'm just enjoying being away from him.

Fortunately, Jake was not part of the immediate wedding, he will be taking a seat with the other guests. That also means that he will not be in any family photos. He was only at the dinner rehearsal because he was invited with me and the kids.

The kids will actually have roles in this wedding, too. Jason is the ring bearer and Nikkol is the flower girl.

I love it so much that Ricky and Jules made my babies a part of their big day.

We were now in the bride's dressing room; no men allowed.

Looking around, I saw Rocio and Jules' sisters changing into their dresses without a care in the world. They were just so comfortable with changing in front of each other.

Unlike me, who stood in the middle of everyone, deathly self-conscious with my dress in my hands, afraid of the idea of even opening this robe.

I didn't want anyone to see my bruises and cuts.

Lucia was enough.

Therefore, I'm glad she caught me; frozen, and proposed that I move into the bathroom. "Kady, there's a bathroom right there." She whispered, coming up behind me and pointing towards a door.

I sighed in relief, grateful for my little sister. "Thank you."

I quickly walked into the bathroom and slipped on my dress.

It was a floor-length, peach-colored dress with a one-shoulder back-laced corset. It was cute, but sexy as it had a slit on the side that went from mid-thigh to the end of the dress.