(say the name) seventeen

beomgyu stared at taehyun for a moment. he was clearly still confused and taehyun tried to relax as he wiped his eyes so that he could explain. beomgyu bit his lips together as the statement sunk into his mind. he rather remained quiet, so that taehyun would have a chance to collect himself.

"a while ago, before i dated yeonjun," taehyun began, "i had a crush on you. a deep one. i thought it was just my hormones, but when you admitted that you liked jiyeong noona, i got so jealous and upset. i tried to forget my feelings, and tried dating someone else — that was choi yeonjun. it was good while it lasted — i managed to get over you in time before you broke us apart like the prick you are."

that made beomgyu smile apologetically.

"for a long time, i forgot that i had a crush on you, and it was going good," taehyun continued, "and i felt normal around you again. but it picked up again, seeing you mature so nicely, become so handsome, seeing you smile… it brought those feelings back. i didn't want to admit to my straight best friend that i liked him, so i tried dating another guy — sohn eric. turns out he doesn't love me, huh?"

beongyu looked down guiltily.

"so here i am, ruining my life and losing my best friend because of my stupid feelings," taehyun sighed, wiping the last of his tears. "all i wanted was to get over you and move on, even if it meant using eric, who turns out to be using me. i don't want you to care about this. i know i'll get over you eventually. the last thing i want is to lose our friendship. i want you to date jiyeong and be happy too — everyone gets rejected at some point, and it'll be fine if that point for me is now."

beomgyu clenched his hand tightly into a fist, inhaling a sharp intake of breath. "taehyun, i'd never want you to be unhappy. never. if dating jiyeong will make you unhappy, then i won't date her. because i… find my best friend kind of cute. sure, you're, like, in love with me, but recently… i thought of you as more."

taehyun was quiet for a bit before shaking his head. "no. you didn't. you love jiyeong. you liked her for so long. we're just best friends — nothing more. i want to keep it that way — i don't want you to pity me."

"you honestly need to stop putting yourself down so much," beomgyu sighed, taking taehyun's wrist in his hand. "look. you're not getting rejected today. not by me, at least."

taehyun looked at him with a frown. he widened his eyes, stepping backwards as beomgyu stepped forward and put a hand on his waist. this prevented taehyun from moving away as he brought his face to taehyun's.

and they kissed. for the first time. taehyun was still surprised, but soon relaxed as beomgyu kept the kiss gentle and sweet. the older tilted his head to gain more access, but taehyun let out a soft sound, which made beomgyu pull away.

"are you okay?" beomgyu asked softly.

taehyun was quiet for a bit as tears formed in his eyes. "beom, i'm just your best friend…"

beomgyu chuckled and kissed taehyun's nose gently as he reached forward to wipe his tears away. "now we're best boyfriends."