four

"i'm literally so jealous, mate. you almost got a prom date and you're not even a senior!! why do you get everything good in this friendship? you're honestly the worst."

taehyun smiled, almost ignoring beomgyu completely. "he's really cute. and he has nice lips. and he's so shy, he kept stuttering and all that cute jazz. ugh, i want to kiss his forehead and just hug him."

beomgyu raised an eyebrow. "tae, do you have a crush on eric sohn?"

"i don't!" taehyun exclaimed with a dramatic gasp. "i'm a heartless bitch, i don't fall for anyone."

"you literally just said you want to kiss his f—"

"shut up, beomgyu, your opinion doesn't matter."

beomgyu crossed his arms. "you're mean. but you do have a crush on him. it's really obvious to me." taehyun sighed and looked away, not really wanting to argue. "hey, i read that best friend contract. under it, it says that in any instances of a relationship, the partner has to go through an evaluation test through the best friend. so in other words, if he's a shitty guy, he's going down."

taehyun smiled and put his head on beomgyu's shoulder. "you'll always be my number one, beommie."

beomgyu smiled and out his head on taehyun's. "i know."

"you're a nightmare, but i love you anyways."

beomgyu grinned. "best friend privileges~"

taehyun moved his head and looked at beomgyu with a heavy sigh. "when will you even bother talking to jiyeong noona?"

"you know how hard it is to talk to literal perfection?" beomgyu questioned with thinned eyes.

"then why the heck are you talking to me so easily?" taehyun asked sassily. "look, you're just pathetic. what's so difficult about her?"

beomgyu was quiet for a moment. "it's difficult because i really love her."

taehyun fell quiet, but smiled internally. beomgyu had really become more mature as he grew older. he was able to admit to himself that he was in love, and taehyun found that as character growth. just last year, beomgyu was skipping periods to play video games on the library computers, but look at him now. all grown up.

"you've grown," taehyun smiled.

beomgyu looked at the top of taehyun's head. "i don't think i did."

"no, you idiot," taehyun sighed, his smile falling. "you've grown as a person. you're not childish beomgyu anymore. i find that impressive."

beomgyu raised an eyebrow as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "is this taehyun approval?"

taehyun rolled his eyes with a smile. "yes, it's taehyun approval."

beomgyu grinned and wrapped his arms around taehyun's slightly smaller body, hugging him tightly as he released a sigh of content. they were quiet for a moment before beomgyu spoke. "i love that you're my best friend."

"i'm friendzoned," taehyun laughed, earning a chuckle from beomgyu as well. "yeah, i'm kinda glad to have you stick around me like a tail on a cat as well, beommie. always my number one."

beomgyu smiled. "always your number one."

taehyun couldn't remember when they last had a precious moment like that together. they were just casual best friends, knowing each other for a few years at most. they became friends at the beginning of middle school in a blur of tears and laughs, his faintest memory being the words 'always your number one'. it just made taehyun trust him, and he was glad that beomgyu was his best friend.