eight

"you like him…?"

taehyun nodded after a bit, still keeping his eyes on the table top. "he's really cute, beom. every time he smiles, a part of me just falls further for him. i just can't resist him!"

"well… i'm glad you found someone worth your time, mate," beomgyu's voice said over the phone. "how did your date go? did he treat you well?"

"oh, it was amazing," taehyun sighed happily. "we went to this really cute cafe, ordered cake and milkshakes, and then got ice coffee at starbucks. and he was great."

"sounds nice," beomgyu hummed. "hey, uh… i decided on it. i'm gonna ask her to prom on monday. it's in two weeks, i have to get a move on, otherwise i'll take you to be my wingman."

"finally," taehyun sighed with a roll of his eyes. "anyways, i'm off. i need to do my chem homework and then i'll be free this weekend."

"siege lan party?"

taehyun smiled. "siege lan party."

"yay! i'll buy snacks tomorrow morning! bye!"

taehyun laughed. "bye, beommie."

he hung up and laughed softly to himself. he remembered the year before, when he forced himself to learn the ways of rainbow six siege so that he and beomgyu would have another common interest, since they generally became friends on a whim. taehyun quite enjoyed the game, but he was nowhere as good as beomgyu. they played many games together, and it made them bond quicker.

but ever since beomgyu dedicated his life to jiyeong, he couldn't stop hearing her name come out of beomgyu's mouth. at one point it really irritated taehyun, but then he realized that beomgyu was just in love, and then he understood. he understood why he couldn't stop thinking about jiyeong and her perfection as a person.

it was this realization that made taehyun's old crush on beomgyu a bit more painful, knowing that beomgyu didn't like guys in the first place, and he wouldn't have had a chance with him anyways.

taehyun sighed putting his pen down on his book. his crush on beomgyu wasn't a one-time thing — he had liked him for a while. the one time he started thinking of beomgyu differently, he realized he definitely had a crush on his best friend, and he needed any distraction from beomgyu possible — which was when he announced he was dating choi yeonjun.

it worked like a charm. taehyun eventually fell for yeonjun genuinely, but things between them fell apart when yeonjun was clearly in love with someone else. beomgyu had gloriously announced this to taehyun after witnessing yeonjun cheat with his eyes. they broke up, and less than a week later, yeonjun announced that he was dating choi soobin. taehyun wasn't necessarily toxic, so he felt glad that yeonjun was able to find love again.

momentarily — for a long time, actually — taehyun was able to keep beomgyu as his best friend and he liked it that way, he was able to be close with beomgyu comfortably. but recently, those old feelings had begun to resurface. he began to feel irritated about beomgyu's crush on jiyeong.

and he was once again trying to find a distraction from his feelings.

hopefully he'd fall for eric in time to forget beomgyu, who was straight and in love with another girl.