Chapter eighteen

Lightning striked outside of the hospital window. Adrien jumped up, startled from the sound.

He blinked furiously, tears streaming from his face. Adrien wiped his eyes, just realizing he was crying.

He looked over at Marinette, who was curled into a ball, her arms wrapped around her small figure for warmth.

Adrien scrabbled up to pull the blanket over her, Marinette shifting to burry herself deeper in to the new found warmth the blanket gave her.

He smiled sincerely down at her, his heartbeat picking up.

Adrien took in her features, watching how she breathed in slowly, then exhaled at the same tempo. The way her mouth hung open a bit, small snores coming from it. The way her freckles splayed across her nose, fragile on her skin.

If Adrien didn't know it then, he knew now; he loves Marinette.

Another lightning strike flashed through tbe sky, and Adrien's gaze flew to the curtains.

Thunder crackled, and Adrien flinched, realizing why he woke up in the first place.

The dream played itself like a projector in his brain, and Adrien shivered, watching like it was the last thing he'd ever do.

. . .

Adrien sat criss cross on the floor, Chloé sitting across from him, showing him a book full of animals she could name.

"And this one's a bee! Just like my dress! See Adrien?!"

Chloé was fidgety, shoving the book into Adrien's face, trying to get him to look at her favorite insect.

Adrien gave her a hearty smile, but she couldn't see because the book was still in his face.

"I think it's pretty cool, Chloé!"

Chloé pulled the book back, jumping to hug Adrien.

"I knew you would think it was cool! I guess you can say I'm bee-autiful?"

Adrien shrugged, grabbing the book from her hands.

"Yeah, you're pretty."

Chloé furrowed her brows, her big smile ghosting from her lips.

It was no surprise that Chloé had a crush on Adrien. Adrien just didn't see it, nor did he see himself liking the blondie back.
They were too close of friends, and he saw her more as a little sister that tried to prove her intelligence more than his knowledge could go, but never got anywhere.

Adrien flipped through a bunch of pages, finding his favorite insect.

"This is my favorite bug thingy!"

He turned the book to face it at Chloé, pointing at a picture of a Ladybug.

Chloé huffed, crossing her arms.