12.A Danger To Us All

I had been lying in bed all day for the last couple of days. All I could think about was what Ms.Marlow had said to me. I didnt want to be a danger to others, so I stayed in my room. I had gotten excused from my classes for being "sick with pink fever". I heard the creaking of the door to my dorm as it was slowly opened and then slowly shut.

"I'm not asleep you know Nals."I said with my face in my pillow, I hadn't realized that it wasn't even Nalia.

"So my name is Nals now. That's nice."a girl giggled.

I quickly took the pillow my face and saw my sister standing in front of the closed door.

"Dri where the hell been. I haven't seen you in days."I said with concern in my voice.

"I've been busy." She said with a smile. She sat down on my bed as she looked around. "I like your room."

"Thanks. What dorm are you in anyway?"

"This one."

"Then why haven't I seen you?" I asked.

"Like I said, I was busy. Anyway,  I heard you had pink fever so came to give you these. It's supposed to clear up your sinuses. " She placed a bouquet of flowers on my bedside table and in the process dropped my picture on the floor.

"You know I'm not really sick with pink fever, right?

"Well now I do." She picked up the picture and turned it over. Before putting it back, she stared at it.

"We were so happy then." I said.

"Yea. But we're happy now. Like we got accepted to this wonderful school. Everyone's so nice and I've learn to control my powers." I gave my sister a confused look. "What's wrong?"she asked.

"Have we been going to the same school? Because everything you just said is a lie."

"No it's not."

I looked at my sister for a few seconds. She didn't really look like me unless you looked very closely. I leaned over and sniffed her. I realized why our experiences here were so different.

"Why the hell are you smelling me. Do I smell bad? Where's your perfume?" She fretted.

I smiled. "No Dri. You smell fine...and not human."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You're having a great time here because you don't smell as much like a human than me. And no one knows that your my sister" The joy on her face turned into sadness.

"I'm sorry your going through hell." She pushed her hand out of her pocket and placed a tiny bottle in my hand. "That's a perfume that covers up the human smell. Nora gave it to me to give it to you, but I forgot until now." Dri was about to get up but I grabbed her hand.

I didn't want my sister to feel the pain of being rejected by her own kind. I promised dad that I would protect my siblings before he died and I was going to fulfill that promise. I looked into my sister's hazel eyes and almost cried for what I was about to say would hurt her.

"You didn't tell anyone that I was your sister? Right. "I asked.

"No."

"Did anyone see you come in here?"

"No. Why are you aski..."

"As long as we are in this school, we are not sisters. We'll pass by each other as if we've never met. Don't talk to me and don't look me. I don't want yooom EVER again. Is that clear?" My voice almost cracked as I told her that.