22.Choosing A Side?

The morning was beautiful. Birds chipped soothing tunes. Usually I wasn't a morning person but I just felt happy. I haven't been this happy, ever since my dad disappeared. Sitting at the cafeteria table alone, I smiled as I ate my breakfast and did my homework that was due on Monday.

"You seem happy." Nalia said as she sat down across from me.

"I do?" I asked with a smile.

"Yea. After what happened yesterday I would expect you to be mad, but you're smiling." She said as she broke off a piece of my pancake.

I gave her a playfully annoyed look causing her to laugh.

"I'm gonna order my own food. Relax sis."

I didn't know whether to tell Nalia about my date tonight. I knew Gem and Ethan despised him but I didn't know how Nalia felt about Kobra.

"Nalia, how do you feel about Kobra?" I asked.

Nalia's fork stopped midway from her mouth before she slowly placed it back on her plate. "He's an ass and a literal snake who cares about no one but himself. I hate him. Wait no, hates a strong word. You can say, I don't really like him." She gritted through her teeth, staring at her plate.

My eyes widened at what she had just said. Her anger was soon turned into happiness. "Why do you ask?" She smiled.

"Oh, um, it just that I wondering why you guys hated him so much?"

"Hate who so much?" Gem interrupted as he messed up Nalia's hair before sitting down along with Harry and Ethan. Nalia gave Gem a death stare causing him to laugh. She tried to hit him but he caught her hand. Using her other hand she slapped him on the head and smiled.

"We were talking Kobra." I told Gem.

"I wouldn't say we hate him. More like dislike him." Ethan lied.

"Ethan stop lying. Just tell her why." Gem ordered, rubbing his head where Nalia had hit him.

Ethan sighed. "Kobra used to have a learning disability causing him to learn at a slow pace. Because of this, we had certain classes with him like math and science throughout elementary and middle school. When we were middle school, we went on a class trip to a wand factory. There was a certain part of the factory that was closed off to us because of the poisonous magic residue. Kobra and the rest of the boys snuck off. I didn't wanna to be stuck with the girls so I followed them and dragged Gem with me."

Gem interrupted "When we caught up with the rest of the boys, something had happened. One of our friends, Kyle, had been dared by Kobra to take a dip in a pool of wand residue. Kobra kept telling him to do it and if his mom was still alive, she would disappointed to see that her son was a coward."

"Wait, what happened to Kyle's mom?" I asked.

"She died while giving birth to him, his brother and his sister. He was the youngest triplet. After his mother had given birth to him, complications occurred and she passed away." Nalia answered.

"Anyway" Gem said,"Kyle went through with the dare but as he was swimming back, his skin began to burn off. Kobra and his parents bribed everyone to say it was our fault. We didn't know it then, but we later found out that Kobra was the one who pushed Kyle into the pool."

My stomach dropped at what Ethan just told me. I was in disbelief. How could I date someone who did this to my friends but not only that, how could someone like him do such a thing. "So he basically killed someone when he was what 13."

"Yea and blamed his death on me and Ethan."

"I can see why you guys hate him so much." Harry stated.