8.Mysterious Hands

We reached the party and there were more creatures than I expected there to be.

"Does the Headmistress know about this?"I screamed to Nalia over the loud music.

"Hell no! Why do you think they picked a place so far from the school? So they wouldn't get cau..." I turned to Nalia, wondering why she didn't finish her sentence. I realized she was looking at someone. Her eyes were focused on Gemini and a girl he was dancing with. He had his hands on her hips kissing on her neck as they danced.

"You shouldn't like someone if they can't see how great you are."

She quickly turned her head to me with her eyes open wide.

"I don't like him. I could never like him. He's my best friend. I could never like my best friend ." she said quickly.

"But you told me you did."

"Well now I don't."she screamed.

"Fine. Whatever you say. But I think you should go find a cute guy to dance with. I'll be fine." I said using telepathy

"You sure?"

"Yea. Go...... Now."

She nodded her head and disappeared onto the dance floor. I leaned on a tree for a couple of minutes watching everyone dancing. After a while, I got tired of watching people dancing and walked over to lake. I saw a colorful fish swimming quickly past me.

"Wait don't go." I didn't expect it to come back, but it did. It stopped right in front of me. "Go away." It left just as I  told it to. "Come back." It swam back to the very spot it was just in. "Weird."

"You're a mermaid right?"a voice said from behind.

"I guess." A girl with pale skin and light blue hair came and sat next to me.

"Fish listen to our every command. Watch. Go get me some seaweed." She told the fish. The fish swam away and a couple seconds later, came back with a piece of seaweed on its back. The girl took off the seaweed and began to eat it. "Thanks, now run along Carl.", she told the fish.

"You named it?"I asked.

"No, the fish told me." I gave her a funny look.

"Fish have names?" I said skeptically.

"Well yea. The gods give every fish a name. But sometimes they have to use a name more than once since they're so abundant." She broke off a piece of seaweed and offered it to me.

"No thanks."

"I'm Pearl by the way." she said

"Verlaya."

"So you're the human everyone's been talking about. You don't seem very human."

"People have been talking about me? I just got here yesterday." I said surprised.

Pearl laughed a little. "Well word travels fast I guess." She slightly leaned over sniffed me. "Sorry, but you kinda smell like a sweet blood."

"I do?"

"Yea."

As I fixed the latch on my shoe, I had noticed that her legs had turned into a tail and was resting in the water. It was a pinkish- red ombre color and I couldn't stop staring at it.

"You like my tail."

"Yea it's a gorgeous color." I said in admiration.

"What color is your tail?

I looked down at my hands and started chipping my nail polish off."I...I don't have one. "

She began to laugh and I was wondering why."Wow. You really are from Earth. Every mermaid has a tail. Maybe you haven't really been in touch with your mermaid side, so you probably didn't know it existed." She started splashing her tail to the music.

"Why aren't you dancing?"

"I would say the same about you."She said while her beautiful tail had turned back into legs.

"I don't dance." I stated.

She stoop up and put out her hand to help me up. "Everybody can dance. In your blood lies the music of the sirens." She walked over to the crowd of dancing teenagers and disappeared.

I took a deep breath and walked over to the dance floor. To my surprise I was actually a good dancer. I didn't even realize that I had been dancing on someone. I knew it was a guy just by his scent. He put his hands on my hips and we started dancing in sync. I had never dance with a guy before but I was enjoying it. I was about to turn around to see his face when..

"Henry's coming! Everyone scatter!" A boy screamed. Everyone started to fly into trees and jumping in the lake. I felt someone pick me up and fly into the tree. It was Nalia.

"Who's Henry?" I asked.

"Ms.Henry's one of the teachers who search the campus for students who are awake. Everyone thought she wouldn't stop here because her route stops at the beginning of the forest. But I guess she heard the music."

I poked my head through the leaves and looked down at Ms.Henry. She kneeled down and placed her hand on the ground with her eyes closed.

"What's she doing?" Nalia asked.

"I'm not really sure. She's just kneeling on the ground with her eyes closed."

"We have to leave like RIGHT NOW!"

I turned to her in confusion.

"Henry has psychometry, the power to see the past just by touching something and if she touching the ground like you said she'll know we were here. Now if we can fin...."

She stopped in the middle of her sentence crawled to the other side of the branch. She parted the leaves and signaled me to come.

"Psychometry's only weakness is water, so if we can get in the lake."she said.

Without a thought, I set a tree 3 trees away from us on fire. As Ms. Henry walked over to the now burning trees, I jumped off the branch and Nalia followed. We carefully got into the lake and swam back to the school leaving a trail of droplets. My second day here and I feel like I've been here forever. I feel like I belong.