Preference: I'm Sorry - Who Are You? | Merlin

Prompt #5
Requested by @Purpleunicornwhat

Summary: You ask him, "I'm sorry — who are you?"

QOTP: Lancelot or Gwaine?

Word Count: 3675

Arthur -
Arthur, having nothing to do that day, decided that he was going to go out in Camelot — a place he would rule over some time in the future, once his father passed the torch.

He also decided to wear more plain clothes as opposed to what he would normally wear so that he wouldn't be bowed at and stopped every few steps. However, he still brought Merlin, of course.

After walking for about fifteen minutes, a few people recognized him, but most didn't realize who he was. Some had probably never even seen him before.

And then he saw someone he'd never seen before.

"Who is that?" he asked Merlin, looking at a woman as she unsurely walked down the path in his direction, though not actually towards him.

Merlin shrugged. "I've no idea. Why?" He smirked. "Do you think she's pretty?"

"Yes," Arthur said truthfully, watching as she stopped, looking around as if she were lost. No one paid her any attention — except Arthur, of course.

He started to walk towards her, hearing her sigh frustratedly as he got closer. She was looking away from him as if searching for something between the people and well-worn houses in front of her. Arthur cleared his throat. "Hello, Miss."

She turned around to face him, looking him up and down as if assessing his worth, then met his eyes again. "I'm sorry — who are you?" But she did not sound sorry in the least.

Arthur was surprised. Meanwhile, behind him, Merlin was stifling laughter. Arthur struggled to respond for a moment, shocked that someone would speak to him like that. The woman became impatient with every second. Finally, Arthur said, "I'm Arthur."

"Well, what do you want, Arthur?" the woman replied bluntly. "I don't have all day. I'm seeking audience with the king, though I'm sure you couldn't assist with that."

Arthur paused, some of it starting to make sense to him. "You aren't from here, are you?"

"Obviously not," the woman replied. "I don't even know where here is."

"Camelot," Arthur said. "You're in Camelot."

"Came-?"

"And I'm the prince."

She went silent, her eyes widening, it only just dawning on her that his clothes were too clean and his hair too combed to be a serf or a servant. It was certainly in her best interest to be kind to him. "I..." she started. "I am... so sorry, Your Majesty. I've had... well, to put it simply, a rough few days. That's why I'm here, actually. My entire village was attacked, and we believe the attackers are coming back. I was sent to get help, and so I went to find it, and this was the first place I stumbled upon. We need your help, Your Majesty — desperately."

The change from sarcastic and snarky to sincere and pleading jarred Arthur for a moment, but he listened intently, already determined to help her before she'd finished. It was only a matter of getting his father's permission.

Arthur nodded. "I can take you to my father. I'm sure he'll let my knights and I assist you in any way we can."

She looked relieved, thanking him more times than he could count as they headed toward the castle, Merlin close behind.