Chapter Fifty-Nine

To Severus' immense pleasure, the rest of the year passed with no further problems. End of year exams were a doddle and soon he, Lily, Remus and Regulus were boarding the Hogwarts Express to return to Kings Cross.

"We haven't seen much of the other boys this year, have we?" Remus mused, staring out of the window as the Scottish scenery whizzed past.
"No," Severus replied, "but Nicholas was obsessed with Emily Macmillan for most of the year."

"A strange choice, I thought," Lily interjected. "I always assumed Nicholas was interested in Madeleine Selwyn in Slytherin."
"He is," Severus answered, "But even Nicholas realised that he should give her some space."

"Maybe they're all maturing," Remus commented.
Severus fixed him with a beady look.
"You still need to mature too," he pointed out.
"I know," Remus huffed, "but at least I don't chase after girls."

After this, they changed the subject. Regulus and Severus discussed rare potions, Remus read and Lily stared out the window. That is, until Sirius Black barged in.

"Regulus!" He exclaimed suddenly, making them all jump. "Why are you sitting with Ravenclaws? What is Snape telling you?"
"Why should I tell you?" Regulus replied coolly, looking his brother dead in the eye. "I've got my own life. Stop associating yourself with Slytherins."

Lily laughed.
"And as for the subject of our conversation," continued Severus smoothly, "your brother and I were discussing the Wit-Sharpening potion."
Sirius glared at Severus.

"Why should I believe you? You're a snake!"
"Black," Severus sighed, "just because Ravenclaw has an amiable relationship with Slytherin, doesn't mean we're snakes. And most of Slytherin aren't evil anyway. Would you like to tell Madam Pomfrey that she's evil? Or my late mother?"

Sirius may have been immature and bigoted but he certainly wasn't outright cruel. As a result he took the 'dead mother' card as his cue to leave.

"Thanks, Sev," Regulus said awkwardly.
"I haven't given you permission to use that nickname," Severus replied evenly.
"So, want to visit Devon again... Sevikins?"

*

When the quartet reached London (Remus sporting a red cheek that Severus had slapped), Lily's parents were there to take her and Severus home.
"Bye, Severus, Lily," Remus and Regulus bade briefly before going their separate ways.
"Lily! Severus! It's been so long!" Rose crowed, enveloping both teenagers in a hug.

"Hi, Rose," Severus smiled. "How have you been?"
"Wonderful, thank you, Severus," she answered, beaming broadly.
Mark shook Severus' hand.
"How's school?" He asked.
"Still good," Severus grinned.
Lily hit him.
"Good? It's legendary."

Rose and Mark chuckled.
"Alright, that's enough magic. Let's get these trunks back to the car."

*

Four hours later, the entourage arrived back at the Evans abode.

"Do you want to stay the night, Severus?" Rose inquired. "It's pretty late."
"Thank you. I'll take you up on that offer."
"We can leave your trunk in the car, then," Mark told him. "Help me with Lily's."

Once inside, Lily grabbed Severus' arm and dragged him upstairs and into her room.
"Remember what happened last time we did this, Lily?" Severus said seriously.
"Of course, silly. But we can still talk for a bit."
"That we can," Severus grinned and Lily smiled in response.

*

The next morning Severus awoke to bright sunshine and the smell of sizzling sausages.

"Morning, Severus," Mark greeted, looking cosy with his newspaper and cup of tea. "Tea?"
"That'd be great, thanks," responded Severus.
"Just brewing the kettle," Rose called from the kitchen.
Severus went to join her.

"Ready to be back?" She questioned him.
He thought for a moment.
"Father gets back late. I might be alright for a bit if I pretend I'm not there."
"Have you seen him since your mother... Died?"

Severus shook his head.
"He didn't go to anything. I don't think he even saw her body. He certainly didn't go to the funeral."
"Does he know?"
Severus chuckled darkly.

"Of course. Mother never would've run away. And I left a note."
"Will he be in a bad state then?" She asked softly.
"I have no idea," Severus shrugged. "He may have been the reason she committed suicide but this is my father we're talking about. He's a heartless bastard after all."

Rose was about to respond, possibly to object to his language but then Lily walked in.
"Hey Sev. Hey Mum. Is breakfast ready?"
"Just finishing up," Rose smiled, cracking an egg into the saucepan.
"Good," Lily smiled, too. "Sev, want to hear Petunia's playing? She's brilliant."

They went into the dining room where a piano was and Petunia sat, obliviously playing away. Lily had been too young to really get anywhere with her piano playing before she left for Hogwarts but piano was Petunia's life. Lily had once told Severus what Petunia had said to her parents shortly after Lily received her Hogwarts letter.
"I don't have brains or beauty, just my music. This is my magic."

The two of them listened until Petunia had finished and then Lily clapped excitedly. Petunia instantly stood and reddened with anger.
"Spying on me?"
"It was exceptional, Petunia. Bach is extremely hard," Severus stated earnestly.

Petunia ducked her head shyly.
"You really think so?" She asked in a small voice.
"You're really good for your age," he replied. "Piano is clearly your gift."
"Well, erm, thank you," Petunia said quickly, before leaving the room.

"Wow, she spoke," Lily said, amazed.
"That's a new milestone," Severus laughed.
"Maybe we can get her to smile more often," she continued fervently.
"I wish you luck, Lils. It's going to be a challenge," Severus told her.
"But one I'm willing to accept."

*****

A.N. Anybody about to panic that I would never update again? I certainly did. xD
What Severus and Lily did is a secret from Always my other Snily work so I'm afraid this is a ploy for you to check that out too.
Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!