Chapter Twenty-One

Severus enjoyed exams. This may be because he didn't have to work particularly hard for them. Oh yes, he'd used to, but now he had no reason to study. He liked to sit and read while watching the others panic out of the corner of his eye. Unfortunately, many first years had decided to take it upon themselves to ask him for assistance and guidance.

"How many times do you stir a Forgetfulness Potion, Severus?"

"Clockwise or anti-clockwise?"

"Is it supposed to be turning pink now?"

"I didn't add in the Spine of Belladonna!"

Not all the questions Severus received were Potions-related though. He'd become quite the prodigy of everything and was bombarded with inquiries about the rebellions of 1612 and 1752 for History of Magic, Charms and even Transfiguration.

"Now, Urg the Unclean? Who was he?"

"You're saying it wrong – it's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long." Never had Severus felt so patronising, even in his almost two decades of teaching.

"So, Transfiguration... How can I work on that?"

"Does anybody know why Snape did that Knockback Jinx on that plant back in Herbology? I feel like it might come up on the exam..."

*

Severus had been sitting pensively in a wall alcove when he heard footsteps nearby.

"Why, Severus Snape. Fancy seeing you here."

It was Lucius, accompanied by his cronies: Crabbe, Goyle, Yaxley and Rodolphus Lestrange.

"Bit cowardly isn't it, you with your crowd?" Severus asked, sliding off the stone seat and squaring up against them. Crabbe and Goyle flexed their muscles threateningly.

The prefect sneered.

"More like, bit sad isn't it, sitting with no friends?" He retorted.

Severus gave the elder boy an assessing look. "I am a Ravenclaw. Ravenclaws sit and think before they act. You're behaving like stupid, impulsive Gryffindors. Grow up."

Lucius emitted a sound that was suspiciously like a snarl.

"Well, you asked for it," he said, and all five of them went for their wands. Severus wasted no time. He twisted on his heel and vanished.

*

Sirius Black and James Potter stood motionless beneath the Invisibility Cloak. They watched the five Slytherins stumble around confused and looked at each other, bewildered themselves.

"Now, what on earth was that?" Mused James.

Sirius shook his head. "No idea, mate. And I'm being serious. For once," he added as an afterthought.

*

Apparition was the most uncomfortable feeling. Despite years of experience, Severus retched upon appearing by the Whomping Willow. Eleven year-olds did not have the strongest stomachs.

"Mr Snape?"

Professor Dumbledore's unblinking sapphire eyes appeared around the corner.

"Are you alright, my boy?" He asked, coming closer and staring at him.

"I think it was something I ate," Severus replied, sounding suitably exhausted. He closed his eyes.

Dumbledore put an arm round him.

"Let's take you to the Hospital Wing. Don't want any nasty bugs floating around."

Severus murmured something and allowed himself to be escorted up the castle steps. He doubted that the old man had seen him Apparate, despite all the rumours about his X-raying eyes, but if he had – Severus had better be careful. He didn't want the headmaster guessing his secret. He didn't want anyone to know.

*****

A.N. References, references. We do love a few HP Easter eggs, don't we? I think it's pretty obviously who that one came from? Our favourite bushy-haired Gryffindor.

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT! :)