Chapter Fifteen

Typically, Remus was waiting in the common room when he returned from the Hospital Wing. It had gone midnight not so long ago and so Severus slumped into an armchair and stared into the fire that still flickered, flames licking the soot-stained funnel of the chimney.

"Merry Christmas, Remus," he said eventually.

"Merry Christmas, Severus," the other responded, startled by the use of his first name.

The two lazed in their chairs, content with the silence. Finally they succumbed to the eventuality of sleep, even as the light dimmed in the fireplace and the flames danced no more.

*

When Remus awoke, Severus was already up, sitting pensively on the hearthrug, knees drawn up under his chin.

"Severus?" He asked carefully. Angering Severus Snape on Christmas Day was not a wise move.

"Mm?"

"What's the time?"

"Just gone eight," Severus responded sullenly.

"Presents!" As expected, Severus' roommate had jumped straight to the matter.

Remus scrambled over to the tree in the corner of the room and inspected the labels.

"This one's for me!" He exclaimed.

"Lucky you," Severus grumbled. He had, slightly childishly, checked beneath the tree for any bearing his name but all the ones there were for the werewolf from doting parents.

"Oh, and I need to get your present! Wait here." As if Severus was going to move. Luckily, Severus had prepared for this – if his fellow Ravenclaw would get him a present, something he had doubted, he had brewed a year's worth of Wolfsbane, until next Christmas. It'd meant many sleepless nights slaving away over a cauldron, something Severus hoped Remus would appreciate.

"Here." A badly-wrapped parcel was shoved in his face. "Open it."

Severus delicately unwrapped the present, trying not to let the petulant excitement show on his face. He never got presents. Only Albus had ever, before...

There were two books. Two books, for him. Severus was astonished. While one was a textbook he'd perused at leisure in his previous life, the other was something he'd not seen before – an old Potion Master's diary, of all his experiments and recipes, it seemed.

"Thank you," he said, looking up, surprised by the gratitude in his own voice. After all, rereading the textbook wouldn't be so bad, either. "I've got something for you, too."

He went to retrieve the box from beneath his bed. He'd charmed it to make sure none of the vials smashed and shrunk it down to a portable size.

He proffered the box. "It's a year's supply."

He had perhaps expected a word of thanks from the boy. What he hadn't bargained for, however, was a bone-crushing hug.

"Oof." All the air was forced from his lungs. He patted the boy gingerly on the back before pushing him away. "Alright, that's enough." He was not one for physical contact.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much." Tears were streaming down Remus Lupin's face. "You don't realise how much this means to me."

"I think I do," Severus said seriously. "The Wolfsbane is, firstly, a potion which only I have the recipe to. Adding to that, I am the only person proficient enough in Potions that you know, and thirdly, the ingredients are very expensive." Remus sniffled slightly and Severus gave him an exasperating look. "We hardly need a repeat of yesterday," he added severely, a hint of a smile on his face. Remus gave him a watery grin in response.

They spent the rest of the day alternatively playing Wizard's Chess and reading. Severus decided to avoid the Great Hall for lunch and dinner, and Remus neglected to go, too, to keep him company. They enjoyed buttered crumpets down in the kitchens and the house elves gave them hot cocoa to take up to bed. In Severus' mind, it was the best Christmas he'd ever had, and he could hardly wait to tell Lily all about it when she returned.

*****

A.N. A nice festive chapter. Severus enjoys Christmas more than he'd imagined.

Next up: school begins again and Lily returns.

Thank you for reading and please comment or give advice or criticism - I'd like any!