Chapter Thirty-Nine

Severus' plan was simple. He didn't want to expose her too publicly, because he was neither a fool nor cruel, but he did want the rumours to stop and to temporarily disgrace Berenice, if only for a moment. His idea involved Natalie, of course, and Remus. First, they had to ensure that Berenice was in the prime position to overhear the extremely loud conversation that would soon commence. Second, they had to make sure that some of their year was there as well, as witnesses.

It all went smoothly. The four of them ascended from the dungeons where they had just had Potions together and congregated near the Great Hall. Severus spoke first.

"I can't believe someone thought that we were a couple!" He exclaimed, looking at Natalie. "I mean, we don't get on that well."

"Speak for yourself," Natalie muttered. Severus continued, 'oblivious'.

"I mean, why wouldn't they just say that Lily and I are one?" Severus asked, confused. "We're a lot_"

"_Closer," Lily finished, glancing at Remus good-humouredly.

"I think Natalie and Remus would be a good pairing," Severus added. "They're both averagely smart, and pretty decent, at times."

This earned a mock-glare from both subjects.

"Oh, it would never be Natalie and I," Remus declared. "For one, I've got my eye on someone else." Here he blushed.

Severus was shocked.

"Who? Tell us!"

"That'd spoil the fun," Remus shrugged. "Anyway, I thought you were more interested in finding the matchmaker of the school?"

Severus nodded. "Indeed I am. It must be somebody incredibly stupid," his tone was disdainful, "and someone who doesn't know Natalie, Lily and I at all well. Didn't they know that Lily will challenge anyone that threatens me and my happiness to a duel?"

Remus, watching Berenice for a reaction, saw her pale at these words and nodded to his friend.

"Berry, was it you?" Severus wondered suddenly aloud, looking amused by the whole business. The girl in question reddened to the hue of a tomato and hurried off. Lily gazed after her in bewilderment.

"It was!" Lily whispered dramatically. Several heads turned to hear. "Berenice must have started the rumours about you and Natalie!" She told Severus.

"Why else would she stalk off?" Added Remus.

"How horrible of her!" Natalie gasped, sounding incredibly upset. Lily put a comforting arm around her.

"Well, everyone knows now," she murmured discreetly. "No more rumours."

"No more," Remus agreed.

*

The next rumour, funnily enough, to surface was one about Lily Evans challenging Berenice Kirke to a duel. However, this rumour was actually true, as Natalie, Alice and Mary were present when the challenge was accepted, and Severus was on the scene when the duel occurred, late at night in a deserted classroom. Severus, luckily, could ensure they would not be disturbed by casting a multitude of stealth and protective charms, and so never was there a chance of any teacher butting in.

The duel was relatively well matched, with both adept at Charms, and Berenice skilled with curses, whilst Lily was ahead in Transfiguration. They sparred for a lengthy amount of time with Lily finally landing the final blow of a well-placed Tarantallegra. Berenice immediately danced herself into the nearest desk, and fell over. Severus helped her up.

"Be grateful that it's Lily you're duelling, not me," he said pleasantly, as she took his hand.

"Boys don't fight girls," she smirked, getting up. He smirked back.

"I could make an exception. I never understood the problem myself. I'm not misogynistic in any way, shape or form, and women can easily overpower men when it calls for it."

Berenice shuddered.

Severus and Lily left her to fend for herself as they took Severus' favourite route of shortcuts to the Gryffindor common room. They only passed a murmuring Pringle and a contemplative, mischievous Peeves, and both were happily oblivious to the two sneaking students due to Severus' skill at Disillusionment Charms. Once safely ensconced in the common room, Lily threw herself onto a red sofa, whilst Severus slumped in a similarly-coloured armchair.

"Well done, Lily," he congratulated.

"Thanks," she mumbled sleepily. "I reckon I need to learn something more about duelling." 

She yawned widely.

"I expect so," he mused.

"That's a 'yes', isn't it?" 

She turned to face him.

"Yes," he admitted reluctantly.

"Ah, well, you can teach me," she said and, with admirable energy, jumped up and walked towards her dormitory.

"What? Oh, fine."

And, after Lily bid Severus goodnight, he Disillusioned himself again and stole back to his own common room and dormitory. Later they would find that Berenice had been caught out of bed, and lost thirty points for Ravenclaw from Flitwick. She didn't speak to them again for a very long while.

*****

A.N. Berenice will not feature for a while but, you can rest assured, she will get her revenge.

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!