Chapter Eighteen

"Don't go!"

Lupin had been doggedly following Severus for the past ten minutes, trying to get him to change his mind about meeting Malfoy. Severus finally stopped and faced the irksome boy.

"Do you know anything about Malfoy, Lupin?"

The question surprised his fellow Ravenclaw whose bewildered expression gave away his true answer before he had time to cover it up and nod. Severus sighed, glanced round and pulled the other into a nearby tapestry which so happened to be a hidden corridor. Time to give a brief history of the Death Eaters.

"Lucius Malfoy is the son of Abraxas Malfoy, a well-known Death Eater." Lupin gasped. "Lucius has been firmly set on joining since he found out about them. I don't know whether he's taken the Mark yet." Well, he did know. Lucius had only been allowed to take it after he graduated; unlike Severus, who'd been so valuable that the Dark Lord had been interested in him since his first year and then was offered the chance to take it in the summer of his sixth year. "However, he does still recruit others under his father's order. And investigate under Voldemort's."

Lupin's eyes were now orbs large with fear. Severus was instantly reminded of the House Elf that had been fiercely loyal to Harry Potter. What was its name? Dobby?

"You can't go!" The boy insisted. "Do you want to be whisked away to Godric-knows-where?"

"Think logically, Lupin. Use the brain your forbears provided to get you into Ravenclaw." Severus eyed Lupin. "Will Lucius, a Death Eater sympathiser known to Dumbledore, risk kidnapping a first-year Ravenclaw?"

"No, but, he may Apparate you somewhere_"

"You cannot Apparate inside the school grounds. Have you even read Hogwarts: A History?"

"No, but_"

"In addition, Lucius took the test and failed last year. He hasn't yet passed."

"Isn't Malfoy only trying to meet you to avenge Rosier? Slytherins protect their own."

Severus sighed again. "Slytherins do not protect their own. Neither do Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs or Gryffindors. We do things for our own benefit. Also, I know for a fact that Lucius doesn't care about an insignificant first-year like Rosier. This isn't about Rosier – it's about me."

"But what about you?"

Severus turned to face the wall, and closed his eyes. His rested one hand against the cool wall to steady himself.

"Rosier insinuated that I should distance myself from both you and Lily because Lucius is interested in me. If Lucius is interested, it means He is interested. I am doing this for you and Lily. You don't want Malfoy's kind on your back."

"Severus?" He felt a hand on his shoulder. "Tell a teacher – Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore. They can protect you from Malfoy."

"You still don't understand, Remus. I have to go. There is nothing the professors can do – this is out of their hands – and there is nothing Malfoy can do to me. I'll see you later."

And with that, Severus squeezed his eyes open, and walked away.

*

It did not take long to reach the Prefect's Bathroom. He'd been a Prefect previously and knew where it was on the fifth floor, behind the fourth door to the left of a statue of Boris the Bewildered. He was completely unsurprised to find that the password was 'pine fresh'. Students generally complained about it being changed too often as the password was shared with friends, boyfriends and girlfriends alike, and so stayed the same for the most part.

Severus stepped inside cautiously. While he doubted that Lucius would launch a surprise attack on him, you could never be too careful.

"You came!"

The Prefect sounded positively jubilant. The first-year saw Lucius by the mirrors, delicately brushing his long mane of silvery hair. Severus would never be shocked by the Slytherin's arrogance.

"I did," Severus replied quietly. "As ordered, My Lord." He bowed sarcastically, and Lucius' eyes flashed with anger.

"How dare you disrespect_!" He broke off before he revealed too much.

"Disrespect who, Malfoy?" Severus asked. "The leader of the Knights of Walpurgis? A certain Half-Blood named Tom Marvolo Riddle? Voldemort?"

Lucius flinched. Severus laughed sardonically.

"I know far more than you think, Malfoy. And I not here to subject to your every command. I am here to ensure that you do not harm my friends."

"What friends?" Lucius retaliated. "The Mudblood and Half-Blood? Really?" His voice softened with false kindness. "You could do so much better, Severus. There are many more brilliant people out there. If you hadn't attacked Evan Rosier, I'm sure you would have been good friends. And there is always Avery, and Bulstrode, and Parkinson. Also, there are a few in your house that you would benefit from being acquainted with."

"A few what, Malfoy?" Severus inquired, in an equal state of quiescence. "A few Death Eaters? A few sympathisers to your 'noble' cause?"

"You little_" He made for a wand but Severus was quicker.

"Flipendo!" He shouted, and before Malfoy could react, he was blasted into a sink and slumped to the ground, dazed. Severus ran to the door and left. Meanwhile, Malfoy attempted to stand and fell over again, dizzy.

"Merlin's beard," he muttered. "What in the name of Salazar was that?"

*****

A.N. What in the name of Salazar was that? I was having a bit of fun with coming up with Harry Potter curses. We all know Merlin's beard but I was trying to use the founders' names to make some up as well. I hope it worked!

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!!! :)