Chapter Thirty-One

In the end, Remus swam, and Severus paddled. Even if he could swim, Severus would not have entered the water. That would mean removing at least some of his many layers of clothes, and Severus wasn't close enough to Remus yet to reveal his scars. A friendship that strong would need to be cultivated over years, and then maintained, like a plant's state over many fearsome seasons.

After drying off, the two boys went back inside the cottage where a tall man was waiting for them. Lyall Lupin was maybe in his forties, about ten years older than his wife, but he wore age well. His hair was only partially grey, leaving the remnants of brown that Remus took after, and he had a neat beard. He looked more like a friendly local fisherman than a wizard who had spoken out about the dangers of werewolves.

"Lyall Lupin," the man said, shaking Severus' hand. "I hear you're the extraordinary Severus Snape."

"The rumours may not all be true," Severus stated modestly. "Remus is prone to exaggerating."

"Not all the rumours are from Remus," Lyall smiled, clapping a hand on his son's shoulder. "Some have even penetrated the ministry's walls, stemming from the great Albus Dumbledore himself."

"That is quite an honour," Severus spoke, containing his bitterness. Dumbledore always wanted everyone to know which powerful witch or wizard he'd taught, even if he'd never personally tutored that student.

"Indeed." Lyall adopted Severus' solemnity for a moment, before breaking into an, if possible, even bigger grin. "So, what's this I hear about joining the Quidditch team?"

"Dad was a Chaser on the Gryffindor Team in his day," Remus boasted proudly. "Won the cup and everything."

"Most years," Lyall amended. "I was a rather mediocre player but, then again, they had nobody better."

Hope put an arm around her husband.

"I'm sure you were the best," she whispered happily. "And Remus will be too, I'm sure."

"But, wouldn't it be safer for me not to be on the team at all?" Remus asked anxiously. Both adults looked surreptitiously at Severus.

Remus intercepted their look.

"Severus knows, Dad, Mum. He worked it out pretty quickly. He's_ he's invented a potion. It's changed my life," he added the last bit quietly.

Lyall advanced quickly towards Severus, who stood off to the side.

"What have you done to my son?" He roared. Inadvertently, he pushed the boy, sending him back into a cabinet. Severus cast one agonised look at Remus, and left the room. Remus turned on his father.

"The potion he's made means I can remain in control during transformations. As a wolf, I can keep my human mind. Severus created this before he even truly knew me, and it works. It's worked for months. So don't you dare say anything bad about him. That's what you did with Fenrir Greyback, and look where it got us."

Then Remus followed Severus' lead, and strode out into the hallway, slamming the door behind him as he did so. Back in the kitchen, Hope grabbed Lyall's hand and held on tightly, fear etched on her face.

*

Remus found Severus in the attic, his back up against the bed, rocking slightly, his arms around his knees.

"Severus, I'm sorry. My father doesn't normally get out of control. He's just_ protective."

"It's alright, Remus. Every family has its faults." Severus didn't look at Remus as he said it, and if it hadn't been for the corners of Severus' mouth moving, Remus wouldn't have thought the boy had said it. "He's looking out for you. I get that. He'll see in a few days anyway." The full moon was approaching.

"Can you stay longer? To show them? Otherwise Father'll stop me taking the Wolfsbane and I can't do that. I can't go back."

Severus looked up.

"Of course I can, if you're sure_?"

"Of course I'm sure. You're my best friend, Severus Snape."

Severus seemed shocked.

"Really? I treat you horribly."

"No, you don't. You're just... prickly."

Severus sighed.

"That's what Lily always says."

"She's right."

"I know."

Silence reigned. Then, as usual, Lupin broke it.

"Do you think you'd try out for the team? Quidditch?"

"Considering that schoolwork wasn't quite the strenuous task I thought it would be, most likely yes."

"You'd get us the cup."

"You can rest assured."

"Modest, Severus."

"Yes. I am infinitely modest."

Remus snorted, and soon Severus had burst out laughing. The cackling did not stop for quite some time.

*****

A.N. A long chapter! You're all really very blessed. As you can tell, I take after Severus where modesty is concerned. XD

Thank you for reading, and if you can take even more time out of your undoubtedly busy lives, PLEASE COMMENT!