Chapter Thirty-Two

As the full moon approached, both Remus and Severus grew noticeably tense. Although Severus had been brewing Wolfsbane for six years now, he still worried that something would go wrong. If anything, anything went wrong, Lyall Lupin would blame him, and he'd be sent home in disgrace. Also, he'd most likely be sued or something, for being an irresponsible twelve year-old boy, tampering with experimentation far beyond his age and wisdom.

Remus was afraid of what his father would say in general. Mr Lupin was a quiet man but ferocious when angry, which wasn't often, and usually related to his son's condition. He knew that his parents were extremely anxious for him, and if the potion didn't do what they expected it to do, he'd be banned from using it, something Remus didn't think he'd be able to handle. He was too reliant on it already.

As the afternoon gave way to evening, Remus settled himself in the cellar where all his transformations at home took place. Severus sat opposite, engaged in his own deep thoughts. Lyall stood in the doorway, wand at the ready, and Hope had been told to wait upstairs, ready to run if he shouted.

As the minutes ticked past, moonlight began streaming through the bars on the window, and the change took place. Fur ripped through Remus' clothing, and soon his t-shirt and shorts fluttered to the ground in tattered ribbons. His eyes became almonds of yellow, and his hands curled into clawed paws. Severus looked up for one tense moment, but then the great beast settled back down and gave a relieved moan, and Severus smiled broadly, looking up at the astonished Lyall Lupin.

"Believe me, now?" He asked the older man.

Tears streamed down Lyall's face.

"I cannot thank you enough!" He cried. "And please, please forgive me for earlier!" He wrung the boy's hand emotionally.

Severus shrugged and sat back down.

"Are you staying?" Lyall questioned, sniffing slightly.

"Yes," Severus replied. "I think I'll keep Remus company."

Lyall smiled. "He has a good friend in you," he said and left the room.

Severus looked across at the wolf.

"Remember this is all for you," he stated drily, and then summoned a book from the attic, before cracking it open and beginning to read.

He felt something wet nudge his arm, and when he looked up, started in surprise. The muzzle of a wolf hovered inches from him.

"Come on, then," he sighed, and he allowed the creature to rest its head on his shoulder as it read alongside him.

Silence descended on the pair and, for once, it remained throughout the night.

*

Severus woke up to a crick in his neck, and no fur against his shoulder. He stretched as Remus stood opposite, a different pair of clothes on, completely back to normal, and holding out his book.

"I figured you could use the sleep," the other said.

"I did, thank you," Severus stated, pushing himself up from the floor.

"You're welcome. Now, what's the plan for today?"

*

After a scrumptious breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast, Severus and Remus wandered off for a walk along the cliffs. The sea breeze was strong and salty, but Severus enjoyed the fresh feel.

"I guess you'll be leaving today, then," Remus said, as they waded through the thick grass.

"Lily will be wondering what's kept me," Severus replied. "I only told her a few days, and it's been closer to a week."

"It's been good."

"Yes, it has." Severus was surprised by his own admission. "You're not a bad friend, Lupin."

"You're not bad either, Snape."

Lupin grinned, and stuck out his hand.

"I guess I'll see you at the beginning of the new term, then," he said warmly.

"Yes, you will," Severus assured the other, shaking the outstretched hand. "Stay safe, Lupin." His expression became serious. "Tell your mum to lock the doors. I know she doesn't. But she should."

And, after performing a quick wandless Accio for his bags, Severus strode off down the country path, with Lupin staring after him with the usual bewilderment.

*

Lily was ecstatic to see him return. She had been anxious when he hadn't turned up the day he said he'd be back, and quickly came to assume he'd overstayed his welcome, trying to reassure herself with this conclusion. Therefore she gave him a very hearty hug upon seeing him waiting in the park but also pinched him lightly on the arm. She looked up at him with accusation in her eyes.

"You said you'd be back days ago!" She exclaimed petulantly.

"Yeah, I did," Severus confirmed sheepishly, running a hand through his hair. "But Lupin wanted me to stay on longer. He gets lonely, being an only child."

Lily appeared suddenly aggrieved, and Severus guessed that she probably assumed Severus' life to have been similar to Lupin's before meeting her.

"So, how's he doing?" She asked, changing the subject.

"He's fine. He did all the summer homework under my supervision," he added, with a mischievous smirk.

"Oh, Sev!" She smacked him on the arm and he laughed, which was becoming an increasingly more frequent sound from the previously perpetually piqued boy.

"Oh, Lily!"

She smacked him again and he began a game of cat-and-mouse, fleeing away into the bushes. Shaking her head in bemusement, Lily quickly joined in, and raced after him, grinning all the while.

*****

A.N. Severus reveals his inner child! A moment I'm sure all of us were looking forward to!

Or maybe just me. XD

Thank you for reading and REMEMBER, COMMENTS ARE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!