Chapter Fifty-Six

A.N. CONTAINS SAME TRIGGERS AS THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER. CAUTION IS ADVISED.

True to her word, Madam Pomfrey did try and distract Dumbledore for a few minutes to allow Severus time to prepare himself. However, she didn't manage to stall him for long.

"Professor Dumbledore," Severus said first.
He didn't want to appear weak.
"Severus," Dumbledore said heavily. "Why, again? Lily_"
"I wasn't trying to kill myself," Severus insisted sharply.

Dumbledore looked slightly taken aback.
"I was only harming myself. I didn't down a vial of poison or anything like that."
"Should I be relieved?" Dumbledore asked, annoyed.

Severus said nothing. Dumbledore leaned closer.
"Severus, you are our greatest hope of success in the war ahead. You can't just risk it all like that!"
"Like what?" Severus questioned coldly. "Risk it like what?"

Dumbledore frowned.
"I only ask that you do not throw your life away. You are valued, Severus, and your input is sorely needed."
Severus seethed.
"Just, please Severus, don't go wasting your second chance."

Deep down, Severus knew Dumbledore meant well. It was fair enough that the headmaster was focused on the war ahead as he would be the prime opposition to Voldemort. But most of him still wanted to snap back, "waste it like last time?" although Dumbledore wouldn't understand.

Madam Pomfrey approached them.
"That's quite enough talking," she told Dumbledore. "Severus needs his rest."
She led the headmaster away from the boy.

"Can I make one thing clear, Headmaster?" The woman asked fiercely.
"Certainly, Poppy," Albus answered, startled.
"Depression is an illness. Suicidal thoughts are just a symptom of that. You can't tell him to snap out of it. It's not how it works, however much we both want that to be the case."

Poppy stopped, sounding upset. Albus looked thoughtful.
"You were close to Eileen Snape, weren't you?"
Poppy looked down.
"We were good friends in our student years. And that's the same way she died."

"Suicide," Albus murmured. "So you don't want him to go the same way?"
"Do any of us?" She snapped.
"No, of course not." Albus blinked. "Sorry, Poppy, I wasn't trying to be insensitive."

"That's alright, Headmaster," she said quietly. "I just wanted you to understand. He's got so much potential but, at the same time, too much."
"Don't worry, Poppy," Albus muttered, looking over at the boy who looked to be asleep, "I understand perfectly. I'll let you get on now."

*

Severus, certainly contrary to popular opinion, could not read lips particularly well. With most of the spells he had created in his previous lifetime and most tasks, he hadn't needed the skill, just good hearing which he did, fortunately, possess. In addition, his eyesight had never been brilliant which was why he now failed to see what the two adults were whispering about. Madam Pomfrey had her back to him and Dumbledore looked consistently speculative. He was just about to start guessing what they were talking about when Dumbledore left.

Looking slightly tearful, Madam Pomfrey gave him a sad smile and returned to her office. Luckily for Severus, boredom was far from reach because Remus soon arrived.
"Hi, Severus," he said cheerfully. "Bearing up alright?"

"I'm not on my deathbed, Remus," Severus said grumpily and Remus cleverly did not pursue the matter. "Is there any gossip?"
Remus laughed.
"Severus Snape, asking for gossip? I never thought I'd see the day!"

Severus scowled.
"No, Severus, there's nothing. No-one is here, remember?"
"My memory was not affected, Remus," he snapped.
"My, my, we are in a mood today, aren't we?"

"Dumbledore was here... Briefly," Severus said grudgingly.
Remus' face fell.
"I'm assuming that didn't go well."
"If you count recruiting to be as bad a bedside manner as I do then yes."

Remus looked crestfallen.
"He doesn't seem to be great at sympathy," he remarked.
Severus thought back to his past life.
"He's not bad when he tries," he said quietly.

Taking the statement to be rhetorical, Remus changed subject.
"I brought wizard chess!" He exclaimed, unfolding a board.

"Ah," Severus grinned. "Bets on results?" Asked Remus.
"You'll win."
It was a statement.
"Thanks, Severus."
"You're welcome."

*

Fifteen minutes later, Remus was a marginally richer man.

Severus had never been one for ordering around inanimate objects, especially since Minerva and Filius had taught him chess in his first year of teaching at Hogwarts which was rather late in his short life, and possessed neither the competitiveness nor the patience required. Remus, on the other hand, was surprisingly skilled at chess. Apparently it was a Lupin family specialty with the perfect mix of Muggle and magic.

"So, tell me how your potion is going," Remus invited when the chess board was cleared away.
"It's in the final stages," Severus commented. "If my... Accident hadn't happened, I would've finished it. All it needs are Dittany and Fluxweed."

"Where are you going to get the Fluxweed?" Remus questioned. "Slughorn's store cupboard?"
"He won't notice if it's gone," Severus shrugged. "That man eats more than he makes potions."
"True," Remus chuckled. "And the Dittany?"

"Madam Pomfrey's already agreed."
"Kind of her," Remus remarked.
"She's being strangely... Affectionate," Severus said awkwardly.
"What's strange about that? Everybody worries about you, Severus," Remus grinned. "Except Black and Potter, of course."
"Yes, of course."

*****

A.N. I never quite know what to do when the end of the chapter isn't a cliffhanger. 😂😅 I hope this is a satisfactory end. It's primarily a reminder of James and Sirius' existence.

I don't want to make Dumbledore seem like the villain. Even Severus doesn't think Dumbledore is evil and he has every reason to want him dead and buried. But I wanted Madam Pomfrey to stick up for Severus because she seems to be his sole supporter at this moment in time.

As always, please criticise all you like and tell me if any of my facts are faulty. Thank you. :)