Chapter Twenty-Five

It was nearing the worst part of Severus' year. The last week of school. In six days they would be returning home for the summer holidays, a lengthy two-month period. Two months with both his violent father and mentally unstable mother. The bonus was escaping to Lupin's for three days in the middle of the holidays and being able to see Lily every day. It was almost a small price to pay, having to face his father after an absence of ten months. He feared what condition his mother would be in.

*

The train ride back to King's Cross was fairly uneventful. He, Lily, Lupin, Natalie Prewett, Maisie Towler, Mary Macdonald and Alice Abbott squeezed into one compartment and there was a calm, relaxing atmosphere. Lily, Mary, Lupin and Alice began a game of Exploding Snap, and Natalie was telling Maisie about the goblin wars that Binns had ordered them to revise over the holidays.

"Why am I in Ravenclaw?" Maisie suddenly sobbed. Natalie put a comforting arm around her. The four card-players looked up from their game. Severus indicated for them to continue playing, to provide a distraction.

"You are in Ravenclaw for a reason," Severus said quietly. "Did you ask the Hat to place you there?"

Maisie shook her head.

"Then you were meant to be there. If the Hat thought you were more kind than clever, you would be in Hufflepuff. If it thought you were more ambitious and cunning than wise, you would be in Slytherin. If it thought you were brave, you would be in Gryffindor.

"You were put in Ravenclaw, Towler. Not any of the other houses. You belong in Ravenclaw." Now would not be a good time to point out that Dumbledore considered that they sorted the students too soon. "What were your exam scores in your other subjects?"

"Erm, Acceptable in Transfiguration, Herbology and Astronomy, Exceeds Expectations in Defence, and Outstanding in Charms," Maisie replied timidly.

"There you go, then," exclaimed Severus. "Charms, the subject of Ravenclaws! Flitwick teaches it, so Ravenclaws are usually good at it. And you received an Outstanding in it! You should feel proud of yourself, Towler. I can help you with Potions and History of Magic. We all can." He motioned around at the four other listening students.

"What did you get in your exams?" Maisie asked sullenly.

"That's beside the point," Severus said, avoiding the question. It would make the poor girl feel worse. "The point is that you are an exceedingly bright girl. If you put in some work over the holidays, you'll be right up there, at the top of the leader board."

"Behind you," Maisie interjected.

"Oh, stop going on about me," Severus exclaimed, firing up. "It's about you. Everybody's different. Trust me, I had a lot of time to learn it all. So stop worrying about being the best. Be the best you can be. That is all anybody asks."

And with that inspiring talk, Maisie asked to join in Exploding Snap, and there was peace again in their compartment.

That is, until Potter decided to barge in.

*

It was just past lunchtime and Exploding Snap had been abandoned. Maisie was gently snoring in the corner, Mary and Alice were gossiping, Lupin was reading a book about werewolves, and Lily had her head on Severus' shoulder, her eyes slowly closing.

"Oh, I've found the loser's compartment!" Potter's loud voice brought all five of them out of their contented atmosphere (Maisie was still snoring.)

"How are we the losers?" Asked Severus, raising an eyebrow. "If I can count correctly, there will only be two people for you to get back to, not six."

Potter flushed red.

"Everybody knows that Gryffindors are the best, though," the boy bragged.

Lily stood up angrily.

"And Mary, Alice and I are all Gryffindors too. Personally, despite being in Gryffindor, I wish I was in any house without you in. Maybe Slytherin."

This had an immediate effect. Potter began muttering almost incoherent insults.

"Evil little monsters. Shouldn't be allowed in. Parents all Death Eaters..."

"I'm sure you'll be the best at performing the Babbling Curse when we learn it, Potter," Severus said sharply. "After all, you have a lot of experience in going on and on without anybody listening. Or caring."

They all laughed loudly at that. Potter looked put out.

"Well, what was it you did a few weeks ago, with those Slytherins?" The Gryffindor questioned, grappling at a conversation starter. "Vanishing in mid-air? What was that? Dark magic?"

"Nothing of your concern," Severus answered, searching for a way to get Potter to leave them alone. Lily gave him a worried glance.

"I think it is," Potter continued disparagingly. He made to open his mouth again and that was when Severus made his move.

"Wingardium Leviosa!"

*****

A.N. Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!! :)