Chapter Thirty-Six

Severus watched calmly as the prospective Chasers worked against the Keeper, Bradley. Remus, looking pale but determined, flew next to Natalie Prewett and Millie Coote. They were the only second-years going for Chaser. Other than the three second-years, four other students were being tested as Chasers, all against Bradley.

Natalie scored first, throwing a Quaffle through the top hoop. This was shortly followed by a fifth-year, and then Remus. Millie Coote looked furious to not have scored, and eventually aimed her Quaffle at the nearest student's nose, before flying down to the ground, and storming off. Bradley waited for her nose to stop bleeding before calling the Beaters forwards.

Betty and Berenice Kirke made up two of the six going for Beater. They'd arranged themselves in pairs, as each couple happened to be good friends. The twins were violent, but didn't have brilliant aim, and another pair had amazing aim but not a lot of force. The final two were moderately good at both, and managed to send two Bludgers, in quick succession, towards Bradley, who had to duck to avoid being hit in the jaw.

Finally, it was time for the choosing of the Seekers. There were nine going for the position, and Severus was the only second-year, with two excited third-years, a nervous-looking fourth-year, three fifth-years in united disapproval of the rest, a green, shaking sixth-year, and a self-conscious seventh-year. Bradley ordered them to search the pitch for the Snitch, and use whatever means necessary to retrieve it.

This meant a nasty kerfuffle. The fourth-year was knocked from the sky by two of the fifth-years, and simply lay on the ground, shaken, as his friends ran from the stands to help him up. The sixth-year, showing an ounce of courage, got out his wand and engaged in a sky duel with the seventh-year. The race was between Severus, the third-years and the barbaric fifth-years.

Severus started off with a well-manoeuvred Woollongong Shimmy, which made his broom look like it was jinxed, as he zig-zagged in different directions. This caused one of the third-years, whilst looking at him in confusion, to crash into the stands. Her friend decided to opt out of the race, and landed to help the feebly-stirring pupil. The fifth-years were still going strong, though.

One came up behind Severus and attempted to punch him, which he missed by performing the Sloth Grip Roll. Cursing, the fifth-year regrouped with her chums, and the three of them tried a Hawkshead Attacking Formation, in an attempt to intimidate him, and as they sped towards him, Severus saw the Snitch.

He acted instinctively, going into a Wronski Feint to bewilder the three others as to where the Snitch was. Two of them followed, and Severus heard a sickening thud as the pair collided, together, into the ground. He ploughed on, regardless, aware of the third opponent swiftly catching up with him. The two were side-by-side and the elder girl's elbow was digging into his ribs. They were neck-and-neck; the Snitch was inches away_

The girl shoved him, but not before Severus had scooped the Snitch up his sleeve, courtesy of Roderick Plumpton. He spiralled away, out-of-control, and she remained where she was, scanning the sky for the golden object. Bradley flew towards Severus as he made a smooth dive off his broom before it made contact with the hard earth, and tumbled to a halt.

"I thought you would be the one," Bradley said, shaking her head as she hauled him up. "As it is, I've got troll number three to contend with."