Mother's House of Horrors - Top Pick

Here the journey ends, here our stories converge and find their climax.

This week, voted for our top three most favourite entries. Each of you were given three chances to pick and though not all of you were able to vote, these are the long-awaited results.

There were several ties as we had suspected, henceforth, we decided on having three picks as well as having special mentions.

Top Picks

Kiradog234 with 'When Leave Falls'

When leaves fall, Autumn rises. In this entry, you can feel the sweet perfume of autumn leaves because of the extent to which the descriptions extend. I loved the descriptions in this entry, they introduced me to a poetic way of describing things. It also succeeded in breaking my heart, hats off to Emma for that. She succeeded in breaking my heart twice, that's a rare achievement. With a backstory that extends beyond people to the very beginning of seasons, the heartbreak is strong with this one. Fletcher is an interesting character and exceptionally shippable. With a genius plot designed to ward off shippers, it shattered a beautiful ship.

Overall, the entry is a beautiful work of prose which deserves to share the first place.

In the end, no matter how much Emma broke my heart, Fletcher did save Dresden from getting punched, so I really have to thank her for that

RoxyPuppyLove with 'The Follower'

Okay, so I'll be honest, this one was very unexpected and I actually didn't expect Jas to tie up with Emma. When I saw the results, I was simply astounded. I had always known that Jaslyn loved references, but mixing pop-culture references with horror and dark humour has never been more hilarious and entertaining. I found The Follower, Jas' entry to be one of the best of the bunch. Though the grammar could do some work, I found myself reading the entry every other day. It's just too amazing to not keep reading.

Damien is a complex character and his relationships with the other characters are far more deep than the naked eyes may at first perceive. Though I admit that everyone gives him a hard time because of his status as a creepy priest, you don't have a life if you can't bring yourself to love him and his alter-ego, Toby. There was a time when Jaslyn and I were discussing Damien when she told me: "I wanted him to be an irredeemable, evil priest. But somehow, he became a dad."

Well, Jaslyn, my friend, I have news for you. He is still pretty much an evil priest, but he's also a dad and not as irredeemable as originally planned. I actually have to apologise to you for the hundredth time. I accidentally wrote your character into a father-figure, hence, that's why he's a dad now.

Overall, this is a book that I would read on lazy Saturdays; or when I decide that life is getting dull and I need to spice it up with some humour.

VexHellfire with 'And Midnight Will Reign'

I have the absolute highest regard for Vex – She is singlehandedly the personified saint of our community projects (minus all the chaos and destruction, of course).

These projects function on three levels;

Firstly, we want to practice our craft, and stretch our horizons, learn new things, try different things, develop new stories. A large part of this growth is the interaction between the authors, and the development of their stories through shared input and collective design. While many of us do interact with other narratives, I think Vex really took it to the next level with MHoH, and her story for Kira Kirova expand not only on the personal narrative of the character, but incorporates the narratives of the other characters so well.