Contest #58 Results

I'mma admit, these results completely slipped my mind during the preparations for the October Community Project. I've gone ahead and asked one of our new judges to help me type them up, so please give a warm welcome to QueenXirinOfArvada, who has graciously titled this document 'Supposedly Renzy's Job But Oh Well'.

This is her first foray into writing up official results, and I'm very excited to begin working with her. I've shared my winners with her and given her summary notes on why I selected them. She's gone and read them (I'm happy to know she agrees with my ruling), and will also offer her own insight to the results.

Before we leap headfirst into the results, let me extend a welcome to our new entrants too. We're very excited to have you and hope you enjoy the community. A final note: While the deadline for the contest is Sunday, I use the following week to judge the results, so you can still enter your piece for a few days after the deadline.

Now, onto the good stuff.

For first place, I'm very happy to announce the long-awaited return of one of my favourite entrants, @SabineDeMauvais, whose writing has always captured my attention. From the moment I read the piece, I suspected it would be a winner, and I wasn't wrong. I'm sure most would agree. I am consistently impressed with the quality of writing, and this particular entry showed exceptional interpretation of the skill we were practicing.

Xirin says:

Highest commendations and congratulations! Your entry was beyond amazing and I greatly enjoyed it. In your entry you presented two images, with the latter being much longer than the former. They are identical, but they feel like polar opposites. The perspective utilised was well-mastered. In addition, the way you presented and phrased the words really changed the tone and it gave the entry a nostalgic and eerie atmosphere. All in all, brilliant work and I hope you keep it up.

I feel like all entrants, much like myself and Xirin, can learn from and appreciate the masterful craft SabineDeMauvais practices.

Second place comes in the form of sorryhyungwonand 'A Bedtime Prayer'. I've extolled this author's virtues recently, so I'm going to leave this one to Xirin as well:

Despite the length of the entry, my attention didn't waver and I liked the way the characters were presented. You paid good attention to detail and consistency, in addition, I will also note that the shift in tone was well done and it didn't feel jarring to read. All in all I think you did a good job and I hope to read more of your writings.

Finally, I'd like to give an honorary shout-out to one of our new entrants and third-place winner, RabiaBhatti05 who submitted a chapter in 'Wattpad Writing Contests'. This was an interesting interpretation of the prompt and worked with a refreshing use of the skill. Mostly, I really enjoyed reading it. I was intrigued by the oddity of the story and I honestly wanted to read so much more. What a way to enter into our community. Welcome to you.

I'll leave our parting words to Xirin:

This was an interesting contest considering the fact that this was inspired by the phrasing and the descriptive language of Lovecraft's works. His style is rather distinct and very much unique. The same can be said to all those who entered, each entrant had a specific style that they've spent many hours pouring their hearts and their souls into. Seeing how they were able to twist their narratives and overall change the tone and the atmosphere made me reflect on my own writings. I think this week's contest is a contest to look back to; much was done and many were able to test out and improve their crafts in ways they didn't expect at first. Highest commendations to all! You all did your very best and I hope we all continue to grow from this contest.

Signed:

Lyss and Timber