October Free Write 1

Why, hello there. It's me, TimberWoolf. What brings you around to these parts? Oh, the update notification? Well, then, buddy, do I have an update for you!

This week I'm very excited to introduce one of our new judges, a.k.a. Ash. She's a lovely little creature and I'm looking forward to working with her. I've asked her to go ahead and draft a free-write for you, and she didn't disappoint. These prompts are absolute bangers! I'll hand the reigns over to her now:

October Free-Write 1

October is here! October has long been associated with Autumn and Halloween, the month of pumpkins, leaf-covered ground, windy atmosphere and creepy decorations. These free-writes are designed to leave an aftertaste like the Halloween candies do. So, hold onto your Jack-o'-lanterns, because this ride is gonna get WILD!

1) It's Halloween. The wind has the musky scent of pumpkin pies and candies are scattered across the floor. You are walking home from trick-or-treating with a satisfied grin on your face as a box full of candies dangles from your hand. Then you see a shadow three times as big as yours on the road in front of you, and the candy box falls to the ground with a thud.

2) This was a bad idea, you could have told it the second you walked into this. Your friends being the brats they were, had convinced you to go on a midnight adventure in the sewer. The pungent smell fills your lungs almost making you puke. But as you all wade through the dirty water in the darkness of the sewer, the only source of light being your flashlights; you hear a deafening scream.

3) The night is like a dark abyss as you stand in the middle of the bridge. This was a bad idea. The wind whistles in confirmation. You quicken your steps to get away from this black hole as soon as you can but then you feel a giant hand on your shoulder and when you turn back you see a pair of yellow eyes staring back at you.

4) You cursed Karen for the hundredth time as you walked into the school grounds. Karen had asked you to cover her night shift again, on Halloween of all days. You were angry as you absentmindedly walk through the grounds. In a swift motion, you find yourself face-first on the ground. You are confused as to what you tripped on. When you get up to investigate, you find a severed head.

5) As the leaves fall so does the hair on Dana's head. In the eighty years she has walked this earth, Dana has never felt that she would be ready for the end. But now that the end has come, she finds herself thinking about how she wants to spend the time she has left.

6) Sarah Dower sighs looking at the leaf-covered pavement. The Grim Reaper is one lazy person. While he is busy reaping human souls from earth, he has given Sarah the task of cutting down leaves in the Fall i.e. to reap the souls of the leaves. Sometimes she wonders why did she became the Grim Reaper's Apprentice, cutting leaves had never been her dream job. Then, an idea comes to her mind and her face brightens in a mischievous smile.

7) Jaden cautiously dumps the body bag into the river. Every noise he hears accelerates the beating of his heart. He looks over his shoulder anxiously and finds his neighbour, the ninety year old Mrs. Grey, looking at him with a questioning glance. He opens his mouth but no words come out.

8) Genny wants the biggest Pumpkin in the Pumpkin yard but before she can get her parents to see it, Mr. Fields' daughter picks it off and takes it home with her. Genny taps her food impatiently, urging her parents to take her home fast. She has a heist to plan after all. (TimberWoolf's Favourite prompt, btw)

9) You are Autumn, the season, the goddess and part of people's lives. What do you see as October comes into bloom? Do you feel sorry for the leaves as they wither and fall or do you rejoice for the new beginning? What do you experience and how do you feel?

10) Amelia is sitting her favourite café, drinking her favourite Pumpkin Spice Latte. She types furiously on her laptop but stops when she feels movement behind her. She finds her high school English teacher looking over her shoulder at what she's working. He has a horrified look on his face. Whelp, she definitely has some explaining to do.

11) The biggest struggle for Ivy is her touch. Everything she touches dies. She's the messenger of fall so that's the boon and bane of her existence. But when she falls in love, will she be able to keep herself from touching her partner? Is there a form of love that goes beyond touch, body and senses? Will she be able to find it?

I hope you are able to find a prompt that sparks your interest. Most of them are based on the theme of Fall and Halloween. The spookiness increases as we near Halloween and my sweet tooth jumps excitedly with hunger and desperation. I'm really excited to see what you all come up with.

I'm going to return to my hellish abode now. Persephone will be visiting my house soon!

Nice to meet ya,

Herald of Hell