Let's Rock

*Author's Notes*
Okay, a comment on the media tool...
I added a song to this chapter that you should be able to access.
It's "Save Me" by Gotye
*fingers crossed*
(Hopes this works)

Speaking as the author, I think this song works thematically as well as emotionally with this chapter update.

Thank you for all of your support.
Tell me what you think of the song.

***

She had been avoiding him. It hurt her too much to be near him, to even look at him. She knew she had been a fool, she had warned herself about falling in love. If her heart had ached when Bernabon had left, then the long explanation that had followed the kiss had to be what disintegration was like, her heart felt like it was at ground zero when a nuclear bomb had gone off. Leaving nothing behind, not even an remnant of what could be called a heart.

He had tried talking to her in class, calling her on the phone, texting, emailing. He even went as far as to stand outside the entrance of her penthouse and wait for her to leave in the mornings. As she had made a new custom of leaving early in the mornings, way before he was even out of bed. When that happened, she walked by him, but said nothing. He followed behind her as she walked to school, trying to make conversation, even illicit a reaction from her.

Nothing.

She couldn't be his partner in any of the classes they shared, so she had taken up the habit of ditching them, and coming to the library to do research instead.

Today, Friday, had been a particularly good day research-wise. She had been able to cross reference a modern book on theoretical wormhole travel with a dusty manuscript from a multi-volume series on alchemy and other, lesser known, pseudo-magical practices. Both revealed that travel, such as hers was likely, but highly improbable... But hey, it was a start!

It was one book in particular, one bound in a mixture of thinly-carved oak and leather. Inscribed on the cover with symbols that seemed oddly familiar. There were pages written in the same script as on the cover, but a few of the pages were written in an ancient language she had seen on the walls of dungeons back home, so, being the top notch adventuress she was, she had studied it enough to get by, know when a booby trap was ahead, were the treasure was stashed... That sort of stuff...

The pages she could read were a mixture of spells and prophetic style proses written in a blueish black ink, the corners adorned with touches of faded gold and a blood red ink that seemed to sparkle in the faintest of light.

One page in particular drew her attention, a small prose of poetry stuffed in between blocks of cryptic writing.

Food becomes flesh

The breathless shall breathe

the sword will become the master.

And reality shall weep for her fate.

The first time she glossed over the words, her mind fuzzy from boredom, she thought she had made it up. So she read over it again, a little more carefully this time, mouthing each syllable as her eyes checked and rechecked each word.

She blinked a couple times, expecting the words to disappear from before her very eyes, but they remained before her on the page.

"Glob..." She whispered.

"Who knew you were such a bookworm?" An overly sweet voice purred in her ear.

She spun around, all at once all to aware of her messy hair and wrinkled uniform.