Until We Meet Again...

His hair was shorter now, and gelled in a very fashionable way. His shirt and pants were actually pressed. His tie was straight, and wore the regulation navy blue cardigan that sported the VA crest. The most remarkable change was the addition of the glasses. Bonnie had insisted on them when they were shopping, saying that they put off an "intellectual flare". They were sleek black, and looked like they were made for him, they suited his face so well.

All she could do was gape at him. He chuckled. "I am guessing that I took you a for surprise..."

"Mr. Lee, is there something you would like to share?" Coach Algebra barked.

"Oh no Coachie, we are doing just fine, you get back to your important reading." He waved at him, treating him as if he was no more than a servant.

Coach Algebra glared at them once more before slinking back behind his latest issue of Sports Illustrated. He was wary of Marshall, but not enough to distract himself for more than a moment from his "reading", and he had simply given up on Fiona, labeling her as a lost cause. Nothing he seemed to do stuck with her beyond taking pages of notes, and working for hours on one assignment. I really need Bernabon's tutoring now more than ever...

Marshall turned his attention back to Fiona, resting his chin on his palm, and smirking at her. His eyes burning into her. She shifted uncomfortably in her desk. Not sure how to act under his unapologetic stare.

"So..." He continued.

"'So' what?" She mimicked him, pretending to find something interesting on the other side of the room.

He scooted his desk closer to her, placing his head down playfully on the desk and peering up at her. "What does the lovely Fiona think?"

That made her stare at him yet again. "Lovely?" She whispered.

"I can say it again if you want." He smiled up at her with big puppy dog eyes, eager for her approval.

"No, that is quite alright..." She replied hurriedly, obviously flustered, although she didn't know why, this was the same Marshall Lee that she had kicked out of her apartment not two days ago... But this transformation was unsettling. She decided to turn her attention back to the other side of the room.

He rolled onto his back, never breaking his puppy-like gaze. "Aren't you wondering why I did this?" He gestured to his appearance.

"I told you that it doesn't matter to me what people look like to me as long as they are good people..." She huffed, blowing her bangs from her vision.

"So you don't like it?" He frowned, sitting up, cross legged, on the front of the desk. His cardigan began to slip off is left shoulder, and glasses began to fall down the bridge of his nose, but he didn't push them back up, still being unused to his new accessory.

"I never said I didn't." She smiled a little.

"Mr. Lee, tables are for glasses, not asses. Now will you PLEASE sit in your seat and get to all that homework you have neglected to turn in since the beginning of the school year, thank you very much." Coach Algebra barked, sending a condensing glare in Fiona's direction as well before returning to his magazine.

"Yes Coachie!" He stood, saluting him, and turning to sit back down in the desk. Fiona couldn't help but giggle. Marshall grinned, pleased with Fiona's less ambiguous response.

***

The bell finally rang, and class was dismissed. She quickly gathered up her things and headed towards the door. Coach Algebra, of course, had done his usual three-minute-prior-to-the-bell retreat to the teacher's lounge. Leaving Fiona and Marshall alone yet again. She had been bracing herself for the eventual onslaught of pervy Marshall comments, or his wanting to be inappropriately close to her, but even after "coachie" left, he never so once as glanced up from his workbook in her direction. She stopped, with her hand grasping the handle.