Chapter 8: Heat Signature

He looked up, Fiona's questioning face peering down at him from up above.

"Fiona?"

She disappeared from view. He could hear her feat stomping across the balcony, and then they slowly faded away.

His heart began pounding.

Shit, shit, shit. What do I do?

She didn't know why, but she ran. She ran out the front door, as Cake called sleepily to her. She ran as she reached the end of the hallway, and frantically clicked the down arrow on the elevator. She ran down the stairs after she couldn't wait a moment longer for the dull hum of the elevator making its long accent up to meet her. She ran through the hallways as she searched for his name on the panels beside the doors of each apartment. She stopped when she found his name. Then she stood outside his door, not knowing what to do.

He paced around his dark living room.

What is she gonna think? Is she gonna hate me? Why her? Why did it have to be her?

In a panicked state, he searched for his phone.

That's it! I'll call Jake, he'll know what to do!

He freed his phone from its hiding place in-between the pillows of the couch, and pressed Jake's contact, which was set for speed dial, though he hadn't called Jake in such a long time because he was always busy with Rain.

"Please pick up, please pick up." He begged as the phone began to ring.

"Hey man!" Jake's voice replied after what seemed like an eternity.

"Jake, my bro..." He started excitedly.

"Jokes dude, it's not really me. You've reached my voicemail, which means that I am either with my Lady, or my bro, Finn. So leave a message after the beep... 'BEEP'... Just kidding man." Jake snickered as his voice was cut off, and replaced by the actual beep.

He pulled the phone away from his ear, and let it fall to the ground.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Jake was spending the night with Rain... How silly of me...

Tears began to roll down Finn's face. He pulled a cigarette from its resting place in the box in his back pocket. He placed it in his dry lips, not bothering to lick them as he pressed the filter against his teeth and lower lip. He walked over to the kitchen, and dug a lighter from one of the crowded drawers. His hands shook as he brought the flame to the lip of his cigarette.

His front door bell rang.

Finn answered the door, wiping his eyes, an unlit cigarette hanging from the left corner of his mouth. She stood there for a moment.

What was I thinking? What could Finn do?

"I'm sorry Finn, I don't know what I was..." He walked away from her, disinterested. Leaving the door wide open behind him.

She peered inside the dark apartment, as his form was swallowed up by shadows. She cautiously stepped inside.

His apartment was no doubt smaller than Cakes, but more furnished. There was a long entryway furnished with expensive artwork, that eventually opened out to his living room, with two hallways flanking both sides. His living room smelled of new electronics and freshly polished leather couches. Beyond this, was the balcony, where he currently stood. Her feet slapped quietly against the hard wood floor as she walked through the living room, and out, onto the balcony, where Finn stood. She couldn't see the vast, darkness of the hazy city sky above her as she had on her own balcony, but this one was somehow more comforting. Enclosed by her own balcony, giving it a concrete awning.