Lukewarm Feelings and Blackmail

"So where did you run off to yesterday?" Finn looked intently up at her from his plate full of scrambled eggs and bacon pancakes.

"Hmmm?" She replied absentmindedly.

"What happened to you? You were whisked away by some dark-looking stranger, and miss your detention-which I narrowly managed to get you out of- and then you show up at my doorstep in some ripped party dress, looking like a drunken prom queen, and ask me if you can make me breakfast. Not that I mind or anything..." He added hastily, glancing up bashfully at her from her perch in elevated kitchen.

She had resumed her dreamy gaze out the window onto the foggy city line, not seeming to hear his words.

"I just wished you had at least sent me a text or gave me a call telling me you were okay."

That made her snap from her daydream, and glance down at the bunny phone that sat guiltily next to her hand on the marble countertop. She pressed the home button, which lit up, and revealed 12 Missed Calls from Finn, and 3 texts asking "Are U ok?".

"I know I should have called you, but things sort of got out of hand last night, and I didn't have great reception in the storm." She lied. She hoped it was convincing. It must have been because Finn nodded seeming to accept her lousy excuse and return to his breakfast.

"I just don't want anything bad to happen to you Fi." He whispered as he stuck his fork into another mound of scrambled eggs, and shoved it into his mouth.

She stopped stirring the now burning eggs in the skillet on the gas grill, and peered thoughtfully at Finn, who embarrassed about the nature of his confession, avoided her gaze.

"Finn..." She set the spatula down, turned off the heat to the skillet, whipped her hands in her apron, and gracefully descended the three steps that led into the dining room, and kneeled down before him, staring at him, seemingly almost into him, and grasping at his retreating feelings that he kept hidden under tight lock and key.

"Finn." She repeated. Placing her hand on his cheek, making him shutter. His reply sent her spiraling back into the memories of the night before. Bernabon. Laying in bed with Bernabon. Seeing his naked torso, the roaring wind outside. Then, she was awake, her head bumping along in an odd position, and the sensation of being buckled snuggly in, as she came to in the car, the driver silently dropped her off at the lobby entrance to her penthouse... She didn't know where to go, what to do. Cake was gone. She went to the only person who had provided her comfort in her absence. He looked at her with wide, unbelieving eyes.

"I'm sorry... What was I thinking..."

She began to pull her hand away from his cheek, not fully understanding why she had placed her hand so lovingly on his cheek in the first place. She was so mixed up inside. Her mind swirling with thoughts of getting home, had now made room for the new people in her life and the tangled lives they led in the budding metropolis full of wealth and unimaginable power she now found herself in. This was not home, she didn't want it to be her home, but she was beginning to take root, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Nothing in her power but watch the life she had once had slowly fade from view and be replaced with vibrant and complex relationships with people who were willing to care for her, to lover her.

I never asked for any of this...

Her shoulders shook uncontrollably, and her knees began to buckle beneath her. Finn, still sitting in the chair, grabbed her by the waist and kept her slightly raised from the ground as he took her hand in his once again and pressed it back to his cheek. He turned his nose to the palm of her hand and inhaled deeply then rubbed her hand against his rough, unshaven cheek.