Chapter 3: The First Day Part I

Chapter 3

"Hey man, did you hear? We have a transfer student in our class?" Jake grinned at Finn and wiggled his eyebrows.

"That's pretty cool man, but I doubt to see how it has anything to do with us..." Finn replied, as he shoved his headphones back in his ears, and slipped his hands into the pockets of his navy blue sweater in an attempt to avoid any further conversation on the matter.

"Aw man, you're no fun!" Jake punched him in the arm. "What if it is a girl?"

"So? What if it is? How does it affect you? You already have Rainbow, remember?" Finn replied warily and smacked his shorter friend on the head with his knuckles.

Rainbow was the daughter of some hippie-turned-yuppy environmentalist who now spoke at worldwide "Save the Planet" conventions speaking on a variety of subjects from Global Warming to 'Save the Whales'. She was a year ahead of them, but Jake had met her during a football game last fall, and after a few awkward dates- which Finn wasn't allowed to tag along on- they had made it official this spring. Finn was happy for his bro, but now that he spent so much time with Rainbow doing gross couple things like holding hands, it left less time for them to hang like they used to.

"Oh no! Me and my lady are doing just fine, but I was thinking about you..."

They were interrupted by a frantic crunching of leaves behind them, which was followed by a blond and white blur. They moved out of the way just in time so neither of them where pushed over by it.

"Sorry!" A sweet, feminine voice called as it flew between them.

"What was that?" Jake asked.

"That, my bro, is our new transfer student." Finn smiled, and continued walking towards the front gates of the campus while Jake took a moment to absorb it all in.

"I told you it was a girl!!!" Jake shouted as he ran to catch up with Finn.

"You lying dog! I never bet you anything about the transfer student a few minutes ago!"

"Haha. Yeah, I know, but I was worth a shot." He yelled as he ran towards the main gates as the five minute bell rang, warning that class was going to start soon. "Come on Finn! We are going to be late!"

***

Of all the days to be late, why did she have to be late on her first day?

Fiona charged blindly down the hallways, trying desperatley to locate her homeroom.

"Why today? Why today? Why to...Ooof!" She wasn't paying attention to what was in front of her, and hit something solid, and hard. She fell backwards, landing painfully on her rear end.

"Hey! Watch it freshie!" A gruff voice barked as she rubbed her aching rump, and looked up.

A very tall, lanky, dark haired boy with a mostly unbuttoned white uniform shirt, and loose black tie scowled at her. His hands shoved into the pockets his un-ironed black slacks.

"You are you calling a freshie, Dracula?" Fiona spat back before she could stop herself.

"Who are you calling 'Dracula', you snot-nosed punk! I have pounded freshies for a lot less than that!" He shouted back at her, his hands crumpling into fists at his side as she got up.

"Well then, joke's on you, Dracula, because I am a third year student."

"Oh Fiona! What are you doing out here?! You're homeroom is on the other side of the school!" Bernabon called as he jogged towards her, his bubblegum pink hair bouncing in time with his steps.