Chapter 7: A Little Background

"I will tell you what I know, but you must take it with a grain of salt. I mean," Cake sighed and sat down on one of the white couches in the sitting room. Fiona took to a chair facing her.

"I was in college when this happened, but I am still young enough to remember when Bonnebell was a little middle schooler. It was hard to forget her, she was so focused, even for my age group, she was advanced." Cake licked her lips. She seemed nervous.

"Anyways, do you remember how I told you that these children's worlds are significantly skewed, and different from our own?"

Fiona nodded. Remembering their talk in the beauty salon.

"Yes, their world is extremely delicate, like ink upon paper, it is truly hard to forget anything, no matter how hard you blot it out." Cake meant this as a warning.

"Bonnebell and Bernabon were affianced to one another." She continued coldly.
"To be married? But Cake they are both so young..." She interrupted.

Cake held up a hand for silence. "I warned you, their world is very different from our own. This marriage was not one of love, but one of wealth. Their parents saw it as a form of corporate merger, without all the paperwork. The children liked each other, but when they were first introduced, they had very little concept of what love, or even marriage was, but this is the way things should be." She trailed off whistfully, staring out the windows.

"So are they still to be married?"

"I did say 'were' didn't I?"

Fiona nodded.

"Bonnebell is a little older than Bernabon, four or five years if I am remembering this correctly...

And growing up, the two often played together, although Bernabon had always been very sickly, and didn't get out much, she was always there to take care of him. And I do think that he began to fall in love with her. Which was very agreeable with their parents, for there was less fear of a scandal when they are in love...

Well, anyways. The older Bonnebell became, the less and less interested she became in an arranged marriage. Which is fitting for any well-minded scholar...

By the time she entered high school, there was no question in her own mind to whether or not she was going to go through with her parents wishes, but Bernabon was another matter. Bernabon had never had the doubting parents in his life that Bonnebell had. So when Bonnebell met Marceline Lee, well, things only went from bad to worse..."

"What do you mean, Cake?"

"I mean that Bonnebell had fallen in love with someone else."

Fiona nodded. "She had fallen in love with Marceline Lee?"

"Yes."

"But then how does this effect Marshall and Bernabon?"

"I am getting to that..." Cake said patiently. "When Bonnebell informed the families, and Bernabon of her choice to cancel the marriage and marry Marceline...

The parents were enraged, and Bernabon collapsed when he heard the news, his heart no doubt welling with incomprehensible grief, and he had always been such a weak child.

Her own parents were insistent that she reconsider, here were threats of disownment... "

To think that the only person that you had ever really loved, and had grown up believing you were going to one day marry, would tell her family that she would rather be a penniless wretch than to marry you... The thought made Fiona shiver.