Chapter 5: Questions

Fiona felt eyes on her as she passed down the cool, dark hallways. The hiss of whispers. "Who is that?" and "What is she doing with Bernabon?" frequented her as she passed various groups of girls, both older and younger while walking arm and arm with Bernabon down the hallways. She stiffened, and held her head a little higher.

I guess this is what Cake was warning me about...

"I know this perfect little cafe... Not too far from here, that sells the most wonderful frosted cherry blossom cupcakes." Bubba interrupted her train of thought. "Do you mind walking?"

She shook her head 'no'.

The moment Fiona stepped off of VA's campus she breathed a heavy sigh of relief, now she was free from the penetrating eyes of the whispering hoards. After a few moments of silence Bubba stopped. Releasing his arm from hers. Half of her was relieved to be rid of the attention that came with his physical contact, but the other was disappointed.

"Fiona..." He began, looking at her intently.

"Yes?" She looked up at him. She had never noticed that his eyebrows were dyed the same bubble gum pink as his hair. Talk about authenticity...

"Uh... well, uh... How was your day?" He stuttered. Deciding to divert from the original question he was going to ask her.

She smiled. He really was very sweet, even if he was a little awkward around her.

"It was fine. I made some friends."

"Good, good, good." He replied absentmindedly, starting to walk again, but not takingher arm in his again.

They walked again in silence for the next two blocks, his designer messenger bag bouncing against his right hip with every step. Why is he so shy all of a sudden?

As if reading her mind, he came to a stop at a cross walk as he waited for her to catch up.

'Hey! I have an idea! Let's play twenty questions!" He took her hands in his. Was he always this affectionate to transfer students? People called him elusive, but there didn't seem to be anything elusive about him when she was around... Weird.

"Uhhh..."

"But let's answer questions about ourselves." He continued.

The crosswalk signaled them it was alright to go, and they fell into step. He matched his longer strides to her smaller ones.

"I'll start. Hmmm..." He rested his knuckle on his chin, posing. He snapped, finally thinking of a question. "Oh yes! Well, why do you always say 'Oh my glob'? I have never heard anyone else say that before. Do they use it where you are from?"

She blushed. She had never really thought about her creative curse before, it had just always seemed natural in Aaaa, but here they must not be used to it.

"Yes, they do use it where I am from. I have just always grown up saying it, so it kinda stuck."

"Oh I see, I just thought it was a cute."

Did he just call me cute? She shook her head. You're doing it again. Remember: he is your tutor.

"And where are you..."

"Ah. Ah. Ah!" She wagged her finger at him. "I think it is my turn now."

"Oh sorry. I was just a little excited." He glanced shyly in her direction.

"It's fine. Now here is mine. Why is your hair dyed pink?" She reached up, and pulled her fingers through his hair playfully. He smirked.

"Good question. Well.." He looked around, pretending he was making sure no one was around. The sidewalk was empty.