12. Owning Up

Mia's POV
.
He was drunk. I could tell the moment he barged into my room. The way he walked, acted and even talked. Luke blacked out the night of the party, leaving us to give him some time to rest and handing him a cup of coffee when he woke up.

"It's good for hangovers." Ruby told him strictly, shoving the mug in his hands and standing close to Michael.

"Thanks, guys. I'm sorry, it was all my fault." Luke apologised politely, sipping the hot coffee in my bed. He was actually being nice. That's a change.

"Yeah, just be more careful next time." Ashton patted him on the shoulder and looked out the window. "Shit." He muttered.

"What?" Luke asked, sitting up straighter to see what was going on outside.

"Your parents are back."

And that was when we all scrambled around the house, picking up empty beer bottles and cigarettes, spraying air freshener all over the house and waited for Luke to come downstairs.

Luke came down with the plain white mug in his hand, rubbing his eyes and yawning. He wore a Rolling Stones shirt that fit him perfectly and managed to pull on some skinny jeans.

"We're going to die." Ruby sighed.

"Hey, Luke- WHAT HAPPENED HERE?" Liz entered the house first, staring at the mess in between rooms and between couches and plants. Andrew came in then, dropping the bags and stared in shock.

"Luke Robert Hemmings! We told you no parties, and that meant no parties while we were gone. Now look what you've done!" Andrew shouted. Luke hung his head in shame and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"I'm very disappointed in you, Luke. And just for that, you're grounded." Liz scolded, gasping at each piece of trash she saw.

"Wait-" I stopped her. "Luke...Luke had nothing to do with it."

Luke pulled me aside and frowned.

"What are you doing?"

"Owning up."

I stepped in front of them and took a deep breath. "I did it. I threw the party." Liz and Andrew look at each other in shock.

"I can't believe it. Mia? Luke, are you putting her up to this?" Andrew asked seriously.

He opened his mouth but I stepped in again, not wanting to cause an argument.

"Nope. I planned all of it. Luke had nothing to do with it."

"Wait. I convinced her to let me help with everything, and things got a little out of control. We're sorry." Luke stood next to me, looking both his parents in the eyes.

"Alright. Since I don't want to ground you, Mia, Luke might throw a hissy fit if I let you go. It's only fair that both of you clean this mess up before dinner. Two heads should be better than one."

Andrew nodded and the both of them walked upstairs, dragging their bags upstairs. The other three stood in silence, watching our every move.

"I think we should go now. Have a nice time!" Ruby ushered Michael and Ashton out the front door quickly and closed it behind her.

I looked up at Luke, confused. "Why would you do that?"

He smiled down at me and took my hand. "Couldn't let you take all the credit. I got fucking drunk last night and almost threw up on your bed. I think I owe you one. And besides, two heads are better than one."

I laughed as he grabbed some black bin bags and two pairs of clear white gloves.

We took one each, setting off to work. Luke sat down and picked up some small glass shards while I swept up some cans and plastic bottles. We threw the trash in the bin bags, Luke wiping a hand across his forehead.

"Work." He groaned.

"Get up."

I tried helping him up but instead got pulled down, falling on my butt. I started giggling uncontrollably, Luke laughing and blushing a little too hard, trying to grab my hand which kept clutching onto my stomach.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry." I bit my lip and stopped laughing, now blushing furiously and wondering how stupid I sounded.

"You have a nice laugh." Luke smiled, reading my mind.

"I sound like a dork."

"No you don't."

"I do, don't deny it!"

Luke shrugged and we went outside, throwing the bags in the trash.

"So."

"So?"

"Nothing." He smiled.

wHaT