4. Lies

Mia's POV

.

I sat by myself at lunch, since Michael and Ruby were doing some club thing together and I didn't know or care where Luke was.

I felt a pair of hands cover my eyes, and for a second, I thought it was Calum. But then I saw some tattoos and groaned, knowing exactly who was going to bother me at this point.

"What do you want, Luke?"

He smiled, sitting down across me. "Nothing."

I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed my bag, standing up. "Then go away. I'm not in the mood for your stupid little antics right now."

Luke's smile faded and he stood up. "Wait-please stay. I wasn't going to annoy you, I promise."

"Then what do you want?" I slung my bag over my shoulder, and when I turned around, Luke was standing right in front of me. I looked up at him, still trying to be mad. I couldn't take him seriously with the desperate look in his eyes.

"I-I just...well, I just realised we haven't took a selfie together."

I raised an eyebrow. Was he serious? "And why would you want to take a selfie with me?"

He just shrugged and took his phone out, tapping on the camera icon. "Okay, I'm only gonna take one. So do what you want."

Luke crossed his eyes and puffed out his cheeks, making me giggle. Instead of smiling, I stuck my tongue out, my teeth showing and squeezed my eyes shut with my nose scrunched up. I heard the camera click and we both looked down at the photo. We laughed at ourselves and each other, and I had to admit, Luke did look pretty cute in it.

"Okay, that was fun." I admitted, slipping my own phone into my pocket while Luke did the same.

"Yeah. You actually looked cute in it." Luke smiled. I looked down, letting my hair fall over my face to hide my blush.

"Mia?"

I turned around and saw Calum standing there, a perplexed look on his face. "Calum! I haven't seen you all day-"

"I guess I could say the same for you." He said sadly.

I frowned, looking down at my feet. "Calum, what's wrong?"

He sighed and walked over to me. He saw Luke and gave me another confused look.

"Look, I'm sorry about yesterday, but Luke took my phone and he was-"

"Well, according to Luke, you two were busy." Calum looked back and forth between us and I jumped back.

"No! Luke was just trying to make me mad. He always does."

"Did you know I kissed her yesterday?" Luke spoke up, smiling at Calum and me. He stood a little too close and our shoulders touched.

"What?" Calum looked alarmed.

"It was only on the cheek! Anyway, I didn't agree to it. He just bent down and did it!" I groaned.

By now a small crowd started to form around us, listening to every word.

"Okay, what's going on here?" Calum pointed at both of us.

I opened my mouth, but Luke cut me off. "Well, I would say we're friends with benefits, but-" I shot him a glare and he stepped back, laughing and holding his hands up in surrender.

"Mia?" Calum slumped.

"I'm sorry, Calum. There's nothing going on between us. I love you, no one else. You're my boyfriend and I would never cheat on you. I promise." I explained and let him hug me tight, kissing my forehead.

"I know, and I love you too."

We earned a couple of "aww"s and I thought a saw a look of hurt on Luke's face, but it quickly disappeared. He scoffed and pushed through the crowd, walking back inside. Soon, everyone started disappearing until it was just me and Calum hugging.

*

Luke's POV

.

I sat in my room that day after school, the door locked and my music up full blast in my earphones. A Part of Me by Neck Deep was playing and for some reason, I started thinking about Mia. I thought about her smile, her laugh, her eyes and everything about her.

I tried focusing on something else, since I didn't want to think about Mia. I didn't care about her. After all, she had a boyfriend. A prick, if you ask me. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about her. Then the chorus started playing, the music flowing through the earphones.

I like her 'cos she's smart,
Headstrong and independent,
She puts me in my place
But I don't know where I stand.
And if only I could find the words,
Or muster up the nerve to tell her,
I'll never forget her,
And she'll always have a part of me.

I turned it off, throwing my earphones next to me and my phone as well.

Then there was a knock on the door, and guess who it was?

Mia, of course.

"What?" I sat up, crossing my arms and my legs over on the bed, as if I wasn't already seeing her face in my mind.

Mia leaned against the doorway, rubbing her arm up and down. She wore a white knitted sweater with some jeans and tan boots. Her hair was pushed to the side and her blue eyes looked tired.

Beautiful.

I realised I was staring and snapped out of it, coughing.

"Um, Liz wants you down for dinner. Oh, and your dad's not coming back until tomorrow. Something to do with work." Mia explained, looking down at her hands. I got up, following her out.

I went downstairs and saw my mom and Delilah already sitting at the table. I sat down and looked up at Mia. "Aren't you eating?"

"I'm not hungry." She shrugged.

Mum frowned. "Really? You haven't eaten anything since school, sweetie. Are you okay?"

She nodded, leaning her head against the wall. "I'm fine. My head hurts a lot, and I thought I could lie down for a while."

Mum thought about it for a moment and smiled, nodding. "Alright. I hope you feel better soon."

Mia quickly ran up stairs, leaving me curious.

"Um, I think I left my bedroom light on." I ran up as well, seeing her door closed and pressed my ear against the door.

I heard a muffling sound and then crying. Why was she crying? I don't know why I wanted to barge in there and comfort her so bad. I stood there for about five minutes, hearing her sobs get quieter. I almost knocked, but my mom called me down. I sighed, staring at the door and walking back downstairs.