1. "I have to live with him?"

Mia's POV

.

It all started on the 31st of August. The day before my parents were leaving for a month. Which was the whole of September.

It was a great morning that day. The sun was shining, kids were outside playing on their bikes with their friends. It seemed perfect. I opened my eyes to a beam of light shining down on me through my window, squinting my eyes and sitting up straight. I yawned and stretched, getting out of bed and pulling my fluffy blue slippers on. I headed towards the bathroom to wash up then went downstairs to the kitchen.

Of course my parents were sitting at the table already, sipping coffee and munching on toast. There was never a day when I got up before them. I usually slept pretty late, due to texting and listening to music with my earphones on. They knew about it, but they would just shrug it off. They weren't strict but really fun parents, of course serious when they needed to be.

My dad shot me a smile as I settled down to a bowl of cornflakes. I never liked having a big breakfast. Coffee was a bit too much for me, and drinking that and some toast would take about fifteen minutes for me, especially at the pace I chew at.

"Morning sweetie," My mom looked up from her phone and also smiled at me before taking a sip of her coffee. "Did you sleep well?"

I gave her a quick nod before one last spoonful of cereal. I stood up and walked over to the sink, setting my bowl down there and giving both my mom and my dad a kiss on the cheek.

"Look at you, Mia. You're getting dark circles under your eyes! You need to sleep earlier." My dad said sternly, putting his newspaper down and standing up.

"I'm just not that tired at eleven. It's easier to do something before you fall asleep. Which, for me, is two in the morning," I explained, looking at myself in the mirror and trying to make my hair look more tame.

"Well, alright. Just try to sleep a little earlier, okay?" Dad checked his watch and sighed. "Well, I'm going to be late. I'll see you later honey." He gave a quick kiss on my forehead before ruffling my hair and walking over to mom.

"I'll be back by ten." He gave my mom a quick peck on the lips and grabbed his car keys, leaving the house.

I sat down and rested my chin on my hands. "What time are you coming back, mom?" I asked.

"Eight or nine sweetheart. I need to talk to you." My mom sat across me and took my hand. "Well, we both know you're seventeen and old enough to take care of yourself, right?" Of course I knew this.

"Yeah. Mom, what's going on? Is everything okay?" I frowned, looking down at her hand.

"You remember Liz Hemmings, don't you? And Andrew?" She ignored my question.

How could I forget them? I used to spend every summer with them up until I was sixteen. They were really nice and had two kids of their own. Luke and Delilah. The last time I saw them, Delilah was only six years old and Luke was a year older than me. He was sixteen and I was fifteen. He's probably about eighteen now.

We used to go to the waterpark every summer vacation. I have no brothers or sister of my own though, so it was just us three while our parents would head to the cafe. Delilah really liked me, and it felt like she was my little sister instead of Luke's. I would play dress up and have tea parties with her while Luke sat inside most of the time and ignored both of us.

On the other hand, I had always hated Luke. He was always so rude and he would not stop bothering me about the tutu I was wearing or the tea I was sipping next to a couple of Delilah's dolls. Luke's always been that way and I could not expect him to change now that he was eighteen. He was always the immature one.