Weaker By The Day

Stampy's POV

I was supposed to go home from visiting Sqaishey with a bounce in my steps yet I walked home, bent over, with tears stinging in my eyes. I had failed her. I didn't want to send her son into a home yet I had no other choice. If he had stayed with for a few days longer then he would die of starvation. With all my heart I wanted to try and explain all this to her but all she kept on doing was screaming, shouting, casuing her lungs to get even worse than they already were. I just decided to leave. It was in my best intrest to do so. It would be better for her. Then again she would probably never get better. As bad as it sounds it was true. She had cancer of the breast as well as cancer of the lungs. When I got that phone call that day I spent the next week bawling my eyes out. That was literally all I did. The only other thing I did was take an occasional sip of water and go to the toilet. Even while I was doing those I cried. Squid would often come into my room and beg me to tell him why I was so upset but I never said anything. I didn't want him to worry about me. 

As I walked into my apartment I wandered into my bedroom and flung myself down onto my bed. At once the tears started to flow down the sides of my face. The whole of my body went into something I can only describe as sobbing fits. With every sob that came out of my mouth the whole of my body would jolt for a split second. My stomach felt like it was doing backflips. At any moment I knew that there was a chance that I would vomit all over myself but if I did I knew that I would just lie there...in my own sticky, foul smelling bile. For what seemed like hours I laid like this. The sound of the rain pouring down outside was enough to entertain me though. Every now and then a thunder clash would echo around my room or a thunder bolt would cast deadly shadows upon my dim walls, normally something that would scare me. This time I didn't even so much as flinch. With everything that was going on with Sqaishey not much seemed more terrifying than the thought of her dying from that stupid, stupid illness that she was cursed with. 

My door opened and Squid walked in. I sat up and looked at him. He stood in the middle of the room, tears streaming down his face. There was a phone in his hand. Not his mobile, but the home phone. My heart started pounding. Why did he have the home phone in his hand? I swung my legs over the side of the bed and held my shaking hand out. Squid took one step towards me and placed the large, thick, metal object into my hand. The split second eye contact that we made just before I started to speak made me quickly realise that this was about Sqaishey. What the heck could have happened to her no less than a day since I met her? I pressed the phone hard against my ear and tried to control my nosiy breathing. 

"H-Hello?" I mumbled. 

"Yes, hello. Now, listen. I'm afraid that I have some bad news about your friend, Beth." Beth...That was Sqaishey's real name. They never really used her real name...Only once or twice...What on Earth was wrong with her? Judging by the tone of voice from whoever I was speaking to, it wasn't going to be a good thing. "Unfortunately, she has caught a cold. But along with this, the cancer had spread to her bons. We are planning to either put her on complete bedrest or into a coma. You may come and see her tommorow if you want to." I felt as if I was frozen. Unable to move at all. My mine was racing with so many horrible thoughts. How did she get a cold? Why did it effect her? What would happen if she got put into a coma? Would she be able to wake up from that coma again? Shakily, I just said 'thanks' and hung up. I let the phone fall to the floor with a gentle thump. The whole of my body started to shake madly.

Squid reached out and placed his hand on my shoulder. Tears started to pour down the sides of my face again. I broke away from him and sat down on the edge of my bed. When Sqaishey first went into hospital I thought nothing could get any worse than it already was but right now...I was starting to think that the worse thing that could happen to her was her potential death. What would happen if she did die? How the heck would I go to her funeral? I mean, I would go there if such an event did happen, but what would I do there? If some people had to go up to the front and read something like a poem or talk about their life with Sqaishey then...What would I say? Heck, even if I did have a plan I wouldn't be able to say a single word of it. I would just be bawling my eyes out the entire time! I stared down at the phone that was on the floor as if it was it's fault that Sqaishey was getting weaker by the day. I kicked it across my worn carpet with my foot. It bashed against my bedside table, cracking the screen.