69 ; departure

Chapter Sixty Nine: Departure

31 January, 1983

Anastasia has locked herself in her room.

The situation at the Bailey household was rather tense and awkward, with Elizabeth, puffy eyed, trying her best to help the wizards and Remus as much as possible as they prepared to set off into the unknown. She checked their bags again and again, making sure they had packed everything, and have taken all the food she had prepared for them. Robbie thanked her profusely, although he seemed pretty distracted, looking up at the stairs every now and then, as though expecting Anastasia to come out any moment. Sirius gave her a brief hug, and Remus smiled and thanked her for letting him stay and taking care of him. They were ready to depart.

But Robbie lingered.

Sirius could see he was reluctant to leave yet, without saying goodbye to Anastasia. He checked and rechecked his bags for no reason, and finally asked Elizabeth to see if her sister was going to come out at all. With a defeated sigh, she headed upstairs.

"You can visit her later, you know?" said Remus softly, clapping him lightly on the shoulder.

He shook his head morosely. "I don't know. I'll be in hiding, Merlin knows where. And it will be too dangerous to come back."

He kept rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet, glancing up the stairs every few seconds. The tension radiating off him was pronounced, almost palpable. Sirius felt sorry for him. He knew why he was acting like this. In times of war, you never know which moment with a loved one might be your last.

Elizabeth came down a few minutes later. Alone. Robbie's face fell as he saw her descending the stairs with a miserable, pitiful look on her face. Without another word, he gave her a swift hug and followed Sirius and Remus out of the house.

The biting air whipped at them the moment they stepped out of the threshold. Each of them had their respective backpack/rucksack on their shoulders; the bags of food have been shrunk with a spell and stowed inside their backpacks. They pulled their cloaks tightly around themselves, and set off southwards.

Sirius glanced sideways at Remus. His hair was longer than usual, brushing his shoulders, and was straw brown colour. More hair of the same shade covered the lower half of his face. He would hardly be recognisable to anyone who didn't know him.

Sirius suppressed a smile; he looked highly ridiculous in his new look.

Sirius had felt that disguising themselves was unnecessary, for they wouldn't have to walk long before disapparating to their destination. But upon Elizabeth's insistence, they had resorted to alter their appearance slightly, not enough to make them completely different, but enough to keep any death eater happening to pass by from glancing suspiciously at them. Sirius was sporting a toothbrush mustache, which made him feel oddly conscious about himself, and Robbie had turned his hair a bright ginger.