63 ; first date

Chapter Sixty Three: First Date

15 January, 1983

The living room in the Bailey household was mingling with life and chatter one evening, but Sirius felt vaguely distant from them. Even Remus was actively participating in the conversation and dropping ideas about what they could be doing in their mission, and what their current objective should be. He seemed to be getting along well with their hosts, especially Robbie and Anastasia - Elizabeth usually tried to avoid being in the room together with both Sirius and Remus, not that Sirius could blame her.

Sirius stared ruefully at Remus, who was seated beside him on the couch, legs folded before him. He wondered back to the days when he was just Santa Paws to him, when he was blissfully ignorant of the existence of the wizarding world. Sirius was aware how unfair it was to him to be thrown into a war he had no involvement in, but then again he was incredibly grateful that he had had the chance to meet Remus Lupin.

Yet, when he looked at Remus, there seemed to be no regret in his eyes. He didn't seem resentful that he was being forced to fight in a war, nor did he ever falter in his determination to fight. As much as he hated putting his life in danger, Sirius couldn't help but admire his courage, his willingness to put his life in the back and fight for what was right, that too with no obligation to do so.

Robbie, who was speaking to the small group of four, suddenly stopped, before looking down at a ring in his finger. It was his communication ring, exactly like the necklace Sirius had. He stared at his ring for a minute and gave them a smile.

"It was Podmore," he announced, as if Remus and Anastasia had any clue who he was. "He said that Dumbledore is moving the Longbottoms to a new location for further security. We need to arrange a meeting with them."

"Who are the Longbottoms?" asked Remus at the same moment as Anastasia muttered with a giggle, "Longbottom."

Sirius, however, had a completely different concern. "Podmore?" he inquired. "Sturgis Podmore? He knows about us?"

Robbie smiled. "Yes, he's been spying on the Order for us. Dumbledore keeps a lot of valuable information, even from his most trusted inner circle. We were lucky to get Podmore to agree with our views."

Sirius thought silently for a moment. "What are we going to do at the meeting?"

"We talk about Neville being the Chosen One. We need to know what Dumbledore is planning to do with him, and whether his parents are on board with it. Knowing Dumbledore, I imagine they hardly know what he is up to, or perhaps they were fed a cock-and-bull story to keep them under his wings. We can't let another child die because of his twisted views."

Sirius didn't say anything in response. When the silence in the room grew thicker and tense, Remus cleared his throat. "Why would a child need to die? What's up with this Neville?"