28 ; disappeared

Twenty Eight: Disappeared

17 November, 1982

Santa Paws was welcomed by loud barks as soon as he stepped into the shelter. Wrenching the leash out of Remus's hands, he bounded into the grounds and began to sprint around, scaring most of the puppies who were taken out to play. Remus tried to stop him, but he was already, hopelessly, out of bounds.

Looking around, he spotted a dog that seemed alone, and he bounded off toward him, before putting his front paws down as an invitation to play. The dog looked doubtful initially, but soon complied.

Adam came over a few minutes later and stopped him. He groaned in protest, but the stubborn man kept a firm hold over the back of his neck and peered into his face, sending a crooked smile. He growled, but Adam didn't seem bothered. Instead, he began to move Sirius's neck left and right, scrutinised his eyes, poked him in various places, examined the soft skin of his paws, touched his tail. Thankfully, Remus arrived just then and pried him out of Adam's hands, for Sirius was getting dangerously close to attacking him. Remus laughed nervously and wrapped the leash tightly around his wrists, limiting his movement by a great deal.

"He looks healthy enough," said the ignorant muggle. "But he seems to be starving. Don't you feed him?"

"Well," Remus began with a short laugh, glancing at Sirius for a moment before turning to look back at Adam, "do you think he'd let me live if I didn't feed him?"

"Why don't you take him over to Jem for a checkup?" suggested Adam. "You should be doing that more often."

Remus gave his nervous laugh once more, his hand reaching out to rub the back of his neck. "Uh - I've been busy."

Adam laughed as though it was a joke. Sirius had the sudden urge to turn back into his human form and punch him. "Take him there now."

Once Adam was gone and well out of earshot, Remus looked down at Sirius with a smirk. "Do you want to get a checkup?" He shook his head vigorously, not caring that someone might see him. "I thought so."

Thus, Remus led him inside the shelter and tied him by the leash to one of the posts so as to prevent suspicion. As he rejoined his coworkers, Sirius settled down on the ground and placed his head between his forelimbs, before closing his eyes. If he remembered the time correctly, the Order meeting was going on right now. But there he was, enjoying his company with other dogs.

He sighed quietly as a hollow pain grew in his bones. The memories of the old, happy, days suddenly began to play in his mind, and he marvelled at how much the world has changed. Voldemort's power has not only instilled fear upon all witches and wizards, but it seemed that his tyranny was seeping into the soul of the physical world as well, leaving it to crush and crumble into chaos and catastrophe. Death eaters flocked around everywhere, killing, destroying, tearing things apart, enjoying the pain and the sorrow, causing fear and hatred to regrow over itself like fungus, spreading around the world like a pest, taking everything and giving only misery in return. There seemed to be no obvious way that the world could recover from such a casualty.