68 ; trust

Chapter Sixty Eight: Trust

30 January, 1983

"I've said this a hundred times, and I'll say it again," said Anastasia with teary eyes. "I am not going to be in any sort of trouble and I want you to stay. My sister worries about everything, and you don't have to listen to her. We'll be fine. I'll be fine."

"We know you will," said Robbie in an affectionate, fatherly voice as he crammed whatever belongings he had into his tiny rucksack. "We know you are more than capable of taking care of yourself. But we're not leaving because of you. We're leaving because it's not safe to stay in one place for too long - even if you stay inside all day, it's best to leave the place after a few days because you never know who might be watching."

"But you didn't want to leave before," Anastasia pleaded. "It's only after Elizabeth started worrying about me and my school, that you decided to leave." She paused for a moment to see if her words have had any effect on Robbie before adding, "Please stay," in a shaky, miserable voice that broke Sirius's heart.

Truth was, Anastasia was absolutely correct in presuming that she was the reason they were leaving. Robbie had grown quite attached to the Bailey sisters and hadn't thought of leaving them. That is, until Elizabeth had opened up to Remus about how worried and scared she was about her Annie now that she was back to school and could become an easy target for suspecting death eaters. Sirius could tell it tore Robbie apart to leave them behind, but he also didn't want to put Anastasia and Elizabeth in any sort of danger.

However, it was also true that it was extremely dangerous to stay in one place for too long, for both the refugees and residents of the place. He couldn't deny that they had been careless about this matter and had placed their lives in danger.

Sirius left the two of them in the living room to sort things out between them and headed to the kitchen, where he found Elizabeth stashing plastic boxes into large bags. There were several bags lying around her, and the entire kitchen was in a mess.

Sirius couldn't help but notice that her eyes were puffy and red.

"Hi," he said warily, approaching her. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," she nodded curtly, trying to force a box into an already filled bag. When the box wouldn't fit despite her attempts, she finally gave in and sighed, dropping down on the chair beside her. "No," she admitted. "You guys are leaving, and Annie hates me. She won't even talk to me now. Why won't she understand? I don't want you to leave, but she's more important to me." She glanced briefly at Sirius. "No offence."

"None taken," said Sirius with a smile and pulled out a chair to sit opposite her. He stared at the numerous boxes lying around the kitchen and the bags overfilling with said boxes. "What's up with these?"

"Food," said Elizabeth shortly.

He raised an eyebrow at her, surprised. "For us? That's a … lot of food."