19 ; godric's hollow

Chapter Nineteen: Godric's Hollow

The icy air bit through his skin and sent shivers all over his body, but Sirius didn't find himself caring. The soft material of the shirt he had taken from Remus provided little to no protection, and his hands impulsively enveloped around his body to shelter himself from the cold. His breaths came out in cloudy puffs that disappeared into the air like smoke.

He had escaped from the shelter almost impulsively. Like always, he was acting reckless, not considering the consequences and taking the ultimate leap. Now that he was at the desired place, he felt like it was a bad idea. What if death eaters were patrolling the area?

But there was no turning back now that he had arrived. He had to apologise for the things he has not done, that he could have done. He should have protected them, but he couldn't, he couldn't, and now he was all alone in the world. This was the only place that held the souvenirs of his past and he would apologise, even though he didn't deserve forgiveness.

His legs carried him through the paved streets of Godric's Hollow, his hair whipping past his face in the wind, and he shivered vigorously as he wasn't wearing anything warm. He reached the cemetery before long, and taking a quick look around him, entered, his hands trembling as they pushed open the gate.

He hasn't come to visit the cemetery before, thinking that it wouldn't be fair to James and Lily, considering that he hasn't protected Harry like he had promised to. But today was the one year anniversary of their deaths, and he wanted to apologise.

It took Sirius a while to find their graves, and he thought he was prepared. But the sight of their tombstone still hit him like a wall, and his breath hitched in his throat, a pitiful sound escaping his lips. His knees shook before giving away, and he collapsed on the ground, his body racking with sobs.

The headstone was made of white marble, shining pleasantly in the darkness of the night. It looked new, newer than the headstones around him, which were chipped or dented in places, as though it was made only yesterday. It felt like it too. The vision of James's body, Lily's and Harry's bodies lying lifeless played clearly in Sirius's mind, as fresh as though he had walked into the Potter household only a few days back, the crumbled walls of the house as he apparated there proving the news he had heard - that they were dead, that they had been betrayed.

He remained on his knees and his hands came down on the ground to support his body still weak from hunger. The stone was etched with words, and even in the darkness, he was able to read it, as the whiteness seemed to glow.

JAMES POTTER

BORN 27 MARCH, 1960
DIED 31 OCTOBER, 1981