22 ; terrible name

Chapter Twenty two: Terrible Name

"Sirius who?"

Remus had a blank expression on his face as he stared at Sirius, but a moment later, he seemed to come back to his senses. Immediately, he picked up a frying pan that lay on the counter and brandished it threateningly.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "How did you come inside?"

Sirius sighed. "I just told you. I'm Sirius Black."

"And am I supposed to know you?"

Sirius raised his hands to show that he was unarmed. He took a step forward cautiously, but halted when Remus jerked back. "Please, let me speak. I'm no burglar or anything. I just want to talk to you."

"And why should I listen?"

"Because you're in danger and I'm the only one who can protect you."

This caught Remus's attention, though he made no move to keep the frying pan down. But he lowered it slightly and tipped his chin up. "How did you come inside?"

"I was already in," he answered, and realised a moment later that it was the wrong thing to say. Remus immediately went alert, his green eyes blazing. Sirius bit down on his lip in frustration, before slowly sitting down on a chair. Remus didn't protest, but kept his eyes on him.

"What do you mean you were already in?"

Sirius chewed on his lips for a minute, gazing at Remus in scrutiny. His emerald eyes were splashed with fear and cautiousness, though it was clear that he was trying hard to hide the former. His face lacked the usual kindness Sirius had learnt to associate with him, but he couldn't really blame him. He would have been angry too if a complete stranger had waltzed into his room without notice, though he had expected Remus to go a little easy on him. After all, it's not everyday you find a handsome man sitting casually at your dining table and wanting to strike up a conversation.

Sadly though, Remus didn't seem to notice much of his beauty. Or maybe he looked terrible at the moment. He hasn't really checked.

"Remus -" Sirius began, but much to his annoyance, he was interrupted.

"How do you know my name?" he demanded, causing Sirius to exhale an exasperated sigh.

"Will you let me explain?" he half yelled. "And please put the frying pan down. It's annoying."

After a moment's hesitation, he complied and sat down across from Sirius, his back straight and body rigid from cautiousness. He didn't say anything but waited for Sirius to speak. He took in a deep breath. "It may sound nonsensical at first, but you have to believe me." His grey eyes met Remus's green ones. "I'm a wizard."

It took over an hour to explain everything to Remus because he simply refused to believe magic existed. Sirius had to wave his wand around and make things fly before he was finally convinced, and after that he explained everything about blood status and pureblood mania. He told him how there was one Dark Lord who wanted to kill muggles and muggleborns and make pureblood wizards the rulers of the world, and how there was a war going on as they spoke, and how death eaters were rampaging around the muggle world and creating chaos. He told him that the inexplicable news of explosions seen on the TV were actually death eater attacks.