67 ; happy couple

Chapter Sixty Seven: Happy Couple

24 January, 1983

"I miss Nathan."

It was the break of dawn and the air was crisp and cool, and these were the first words that came out of Remus's lips the moment Sirius stirred awake beside him and gave him a small, lovely smile. Not surprisingly, the smile slipped out of the latter's face as he propped himself up on his elbows and glared at Remus.

"Nathan? That's who you are think of early in the morning?"

Remus hid a smile as he gently stroked Sirius's cheek, now rough with stubble. "Well, I don't think about him everyday –"

"Just every two days then?" Sirius interjected. "Every other Tuesday and Friday?"

Remus pulled the blanket close around them as a particularly chilly shiver ran up his spine. Sliding his arms around Sirius's waist and burying his face into his body, Remus attempted to warm himself up, but no sooner was he comfortable enough that Sirius's cold feet touched his skin, making all attempts to keep himself cosy completely futile. Sirius, however was too busy worrying about why he was thinking about Nathan to realise the struggle he was putting him through.

"I just miss him, that's all," he mumbled into his shirt. "He was nice, he took care of me, he taught me Potions –"

"While Sirius was a massive dick to me," said Sirius in an amazingly accurate imitation of his voice.

Remus smirked as he said, "Well, you're not wrong." As a result, he was immediately met with a shove that widened the gap between them, not because Sirius was able to push him back, but because he was pushed back himself while Remus remained on his spot, unmoved. The indignant look on Sirius's face deepened when he howled with laughter.

"Stop laughing, it's not funny." Sirius slapped his arm when he finally surrendered to the fact that he wasn't strong enough to move Remus.

"Well, it's true," said Remus, pulling him back into his arms. "Nathan treated me with kindness while you and Marlene were busy ignoring me."

But Sirius continued pouting, giving off the impression of a child who has been denied his favourite candy. He shuffled closer to Remus, before burying his face into the side of his neck. "I miss him too," he whispered into his skin. "And Marlene." He pulled back and sent a questioning look to Remus. "I suppose you don't really miss her?"

"We never really got the chance to exchange friendly words," he admitted with a shrug.

They fell into a silence as they remained in each other's arms, enjoying the other's company. Through the window and the fluttering curtains, the sun could be seen peeking out of the horizon, slowly lightening up the dark world. Rays of sunlight leaked into the room through the translucent panes, forming patterns on the floor and covering up Sirius's face with an ethereal glow.