Chapter Thirty-Five

WENDY'S P.O.V.

It took me and Tris a few seconds to realize that he was referring to us! We reacted fast. We spun around and dashed down the same narrow hall, and I could feel my heart.

Pound! Pound! Pound!

Over the sounds of our heavy footsteps, we could hear Triso and Wendow.

"No, Pompus! Please!"

"Do not throw them into space! They are our true and only friends!"

Tris and I skidded to a stop and glanced from left to right. From up to down. We had returned to the base. To where we had started. No aliens of any kind were in sight, so we had a chance. A chance to hide properly.

"Which direction should we go?" I asked Tris, wanting her opinion.

"How should I know? This is the first time that I have been on a base on an alien planet!"

"Jeez. Sorry. You keep assuming to everybody that you are smart in the facts and logic department."

"I...I am. It is just..."

"Yes? Just what?"

"Is it not obvious to you? A person who prefers fictional over real things? This is way out of my comfort zone! I...I am not an expert on aliens! Let alone this forsaken planet!"

I smiled a little and patted her shoulder. "You are not alone in this, Tris. I know nothing about this planet either."

"Yeah, but...knowing you, you probably have watched many alien shows and movies and read plenty of alien books. You must know something."

"Hmm..." I snapped my fingers and pointed to the left. "That way!"

Tris looked over her shoulder. "I would ask you why, Wendy...but those alien guards are closing in on us!"

Faster than the speed of light - okay, maybe not that fast - we ran. Away from the base. Farther and farther away from the guards.

Huh. I guess that we humans are faster than these aliens.

"Ah!"

Without any warning of any kind, we were swept off our feet and pulled in between two walls. It was not another narrow hall. It was just a tight space - and must have been an excellent spot to hide because the guards never noticed us and passed us. They turned a corner and disappeared.

A figure was in front of us and gripping both of our shirts. He or she let go and straightened them out.

"Sorry about that," the figure apologized. The voice was female. "Seeing that you guys were chased by those alien guards makes me happy that I came to your aid in the nick of time. Now, do not make any loud noises and follow me." She started to head out.

"Wait," Tris said. "How can we trust you? Who are you?"

She stopped and turned to face us. Her skin was green, and she was wearing white boots and a red, short-sleeved dress that touched her knees. She also had long, blond hair.

"My voice does not sound familiar to you?"

"Why should it?" I questioned.

"I am that human lawyer whom you met on your planet. I am Cara."

Tris tilted her head to the side. She was lost in confusion. So was I.

"Look, I know that you both are confused. Things are not making any sense, so you do not know what to think. However, I promise you that I will tell you everything if you follow me to safety."

Tris and I glanced at each other. We slowly nodded and allowed Cara to lead us.

"So Cara, you are a hybrid?" I guessed. "You are a human and alien?"

"Nope. But good guess. My real name is Xegejahah by the way, but you can call me Cassidy."

As soon as she squeezed herself out of the small space, Cassidy helped us do the same.

"Here we are," Cassidy said. "My private room."

Tris' and my eyes glossed over the room.

Both the floor and walls were blue and made of metal. Other than a tall and wide computer that touched the ceiling and walls, there was nothing.

Cassidy strolled up to a chair and sat in it. Tris and I walked up to her until we were on either side of her.

Cassidy began typing on the wide keyboard. "I know that what I am about to say is a long shot, considering that neither of you know, but...do you have the tape?"

My eyes widened, and I remembered the tape that I found.
——————————————————————————
I pulled my head back, quietly closed my door, and tiptoed to the suitcase. I got on my knees and picked up the black case. The case was smooth against my fingers.

I grabbed ahold of the zipper and slowly unzipped the case. There was silence in the house, so I did not want Tris to hear.

I opened the case - and was surprised at what I had discovered.

It was a VHS tape. You know. Those tapes that were used before CDs.

Why did Triso and Wendow have a VHS tape? Actually, the real question that I should be asking is what was on it?

Now, you readers might be thinking that I should not worry about what it is on it because it does not belong to me.

I should remind you that Tris and I were dealing with real aliens. What if there was something evil on the tape? What if Triso and Wendow had a secret plan on it that would doom our planet?
——————————————————————————
I unzipped my purse and pulled out the VHS tape. "Is this what you are talking about?"

She looked at it. "Yes. Was it in a black case?"

"Yep. Why do you need to see it?"

"I do not need to watch it. You two do."

Cassidy took it and inserted it into an opening of the keyboard. The computer screen flashed gray and white. Soon, it played what was on the tape.

"You see those people? They are my best friends."

That was Kara's voice.