Chapter Forty-Two

WENDY'S P.O.V.

Tris and I stared at the hologram in confusion. It was odd. First, the computer did not want us to mistaken it for our Kara. And now, it was talking to us as if it were the actual Kara.

"Computer...it is okay," I said. "You are not Kara."

"Please. Answer my question," Hologram Kara begged. "Right before I left, I still thought of you, Wendy and Tris, as my best friends. I did not go because of you. I...I thought that I was not good enough for you. I thought that you both deserved a more fitting friend."

Tris glanced at me before looking back at the hologram. She played along. "Kara...what made you think that you were not good enough for us? You were terrific!"

"I...I was?"

"Absolutely!" I agreed with enthusiasm. "Tris and I were lonely. We had no friends of our own and were going through family problems. But then you came into the picture and...changed everything."

A wide smile spread across Hologram Kara's face. The same one that the real Kara would give me.

"Dang. I feel like such a fool..."

"You are not a fool, Kara," Tris declared. "But taking your own life was not the answer. Did you not know that is a sin?"

"I knew that it is wrong, but..."

"But what?"

"...I honestly thought that I was destined to never have happiness. What a fool I was. What a fool I am..."

"Like Tris said, you are not a fool," I defended.

"My goodness. How are Wendow and Triso going to react? They are still thinking that their mother will return to them and take care of them. I am gone...forever."

"We already know."

The door that separated the private room from the hallway was open. And standing in front of the doorway and in the room were none other than Wendow and Triso. Neither of them were happy in the slightest.

Hologram Kara turned to them. "Wendow. Triso."

Poof! There went the hologram. The only thing that was left of it was the small device where it generated from. Tris scooped it up and examined it.

"How long have you two been standing there?" I asked Wendow and Triso.

"Long enough," Wendow spoke. "Long enough to find out that our mother is dead!"

"Why did she die?" Triso spoke softly. "It does not make any sense."

Poof!

The four of us were teleported to another room. We fell on some glassy flooring and moaned.

I rubbed my cheek and raised my head. Raised my head to the alien sitting on his throne.

I frowned and growled. "Pompus."