Chapter Thirty-One

WENDY'S P.O.V.

A man whom I am guessing was in his thirties stood by the Ferris wheel. He was responsible for operating the ride and making sure that guests who were not tall enough did not get on. Every clothing that he wore was red. His shirt, shorts, shoes, and hat.

I had assumed - and was hoping too - that Tris and I would be able to get on the Ferris wheel. I was wrong. And admittedly, the guy was a douchebag about it.

We went up to him and placed our hands on our knees, catching our breaths.

"Hello. Can I help you?" The man sounded like that he was not happy to be there.

"We would like to go on the ride," Tris responded.

"You mean the Ferris wheel?"

"Yeah. Duh. Why else would my friend and I be here?"

Awe! She called me her friend!

"Girls, I apologize in advance," the man apologized. "All the rides, game booths, and food stands have been shut down for now."

"So...we cannot go on the Ferris wheel?" I questioned him. I was afraid that this was the case.

"No, you cannot. Again, I am sorry. But do not blame me. I am only doing what Sabrina instructed me and the other workers to do. To close the attractions when the special effects started."

Tris raised an eyebrow. "What special effects are you talking about? My friend and I do not see any special effects."

The man let out a chuckle. "Really? Neither one of you noticed the spaceship that is floating in the air? That special effect seems so real."

"That is because it is real!" I blurted out. "It abducted Sabrina, our friends, our bullies, and the rest of the guests!"

Unsurprisingly, he took my claim as a harmless joke and chuckled some more. "Very funny. But how stupid do you think that I am?"

"I am not saying that you are stupid. Why, I believe that you are the exact opposite. Smart."

"I thank you for your kind thought, however...I am afraid that I am anything but smart."

"Aw. I am sure that there is some smartness inside that brain of yours."

There was an empty crate by him for some reason, and he flipped it upside down, plopped his bottom on it, and crossed his legs.

"Like I said, I am not smart. If I were, would I drop out of college?"

"Do you live in Forlot?" Tris asked.

"Yes. I have lived here for my entire life."

"Then you should know that there is no college here."

"What about high school?"

"No high school. No middle school. Not even an elementary. Instead, we have a school that only focuses on creativity." She mumbled the next part. "Real schools kill creativity."

"What about...churches?"

"This might come as a surprise to you, but there are no churches in Forlot. We are a Christian town, so I do not know why that is."

From the corner of my eye, I noticed that the alien spaceship was beginning to fly away. Tris and I had to think fast, or we would never see our alien friends again.

My instincts kicked in, and I did what is considered crazy in the real world.

I jumped onto the side of the Ferris wheel and started to climb to the top. Do not try this at home!

I knew that Tris and the man were watching because they were ordering me to come down. Well, the guy was telling me that. Tris was encouraging me to keep going.

"Wait for me, Wendy!" Tris said. "I am coming!"

In no time, I reached the top and got into one of the carts. I leaned over and glanced down to see Tris climbing up the Ferris wheel.

When she first began, the man got ahold of her ankle and told her to let go as he tried to pull her off. She did not listen to him and instead kicked him in the face. The man cried out in pain and let go of her ankle, and Tris continued her climb.

When she reached the top, I helped her into the cart that I was in, and we waited for the spaceship. Our plan was easy...sort of. We would get on the ship and hopefully find a way inside.

As the spaceship came close to the Ferris wheel, Tris and I jumped high into the air and gripped the bottom of the ship. We dangled as we floated away. From the attractions. From our home.

From our planet and into deep space.

Tris and I desperately needed to find a way inside. If we did not, we would die in space.

Finding a way in was surprisingly easier than we thought. I actually had my hands on a metal bar that was connected to a trapdoor. I swung my body back and forth, hoping to get the trapdoor to open - and it did.

I allowed for Tris to get in first. Once she was in, she told me to hold up my feet. I did so without hesitation, and she gripped both of my ankles and pulled me in.

After a minute or so, the trapdoor slowly closed by itself, and we dusted off our clothes.

"Uh, Wendy?" Tris said. "Do you happen to have your cellphone on you?"

"Yep." I patted my pink purse that I had brought along. "I always keep it on me."

"By chance, can you call or text your mom?"

"I do not know if I can do either. I am positive that there is no signal in space. Besides, even if I could get ahold of my mother, what would I say to her? That we are on an alien spaceship because aliens abducted some of our classmates from school? She would never believe us."

Tris sighed. "If only Kara were here. She would know what to do. She was always a good planner."