Chapter Thirty-Eight

WENDY'S P.O.V.

"And that is how and why your planet became her new home," Cassidy finished Kara's backstory. "She was separated from me physically. However, I was not separated from her. I 'spied' on her - the folks on my planet claim that I was doing just that - and kept checking to make sure that she would not do anything stupid."

"Like taking herself?" I remarked.

"Um...where did she take herself?"

Tris pointed a finger at the ceiling. More precisely, the sky. More precisely, the heavens.

"She took her life," Tris said. "She is gone and still in suffering because she committed a sin."

Cassidy blushed a little out of embarrassment. "Oh, yes. I...I am afraid that it is partly my fault."

I raised an eyebrow. "How can your own sister taking her own life be partly your fault?"

"Well...you see...I knew that she was suffering from anxiety, guilt, and most of all, depression. I did everything that I could to make her happy and to get those feelings to go away. Alas, nothing worked."

"Okay..." Tris said. "...so how is her death partly your fault?"

"I am getting to that part." She cleared her throat. "While having depression, Kara attempted...you know...again and again. More and more often. Thankfully, I always had stopped her in the nick of time. The fear inside of me grew. I was afraid that I would fail one of these days. Sadly, I was right."

Cassidy quickly got up from the chair and slammed a fist on the keyboard.

"I thought that she would not do it! She looked and acted so very happy! She had you two and her new daughters. Why the heck would she take herself?! All that did was hurt people whom were close to her!"

"Well, they say that looks can be deceiving," Tris remarked.

Cassidy rested her palms on the keyboard. "I should have done more. I knew what kind of people reside on that planet of yours. Real worlders." She slammed her palms on the keyboard. "I am such an idiot!"

All of a sudden, yellow light appeared over the computer screen. It was a hologram.

A hologram of Pompus.

"Cassidy?" Pompus said.

Cassidy was startled and tilted her head up to the hologram. She pulled her palms away from the keyboard and started backing up.

"P-Pompus. I—"

"It was so easy to hear you from my throne room. What did you call yourself? Oh, yeah. An idiot."

"I-I apologize. It is just that...I-I am still grieving for my sister."

"Hmm? And why is that? I have strictly told that she is alive."

"Pardon me for my rudeness, but...you need to come to terms that she is gone. You are part of the reason that she is gone."

"No. It is all your fault. Come to terms with that." He held up a hand with his thumb and fingers uncoiled.

"No! Please! I take back what I said! I take back—"

Rainbow light shot out from his palm - and hit her.