Chapter Twenty-Six

TRIS' P.O.V.

We had just left Wendy's house once again and were making our way towards our school. Wendy said that we had to go there, but refused to tell me why.

"It will become clear when we locate a VHS player," she stated.

"And why in the world would we need a VHS player?" I questioned her. "According to my research of this town, nobody has used VHS tapes for years. With the exception of the school."

"You will see. I promise."

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. "As long as it is not a trap that you set up for me."

"No. This...this is far from a joke."

After that small talk, I explained to her everything that this Pompus guy said to me over the phone. How he was trying to get - more like kidnap - Wendow and Triso. How our best friend Kara somehow ended up in that mess.

"Do you think that...Pompus might have murdered Kara? Or caused her to take herself?" Wendy guessed.

"I am not sure," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "I think that we have to do some investigating to find out the truth."

She nodded in agreement and smirked. "And I know where to start."

We made it to the school and headed inside. We did not want any of the students or teachers to spot us, so we had to keep a low profile. In other words, we had to be quiet and fast as a mouse.

Speaking of mouse, we did come across an animal. But it was not a tiny mouse. It was much worse.

You might be wondering what could be worse than an animal who has the ability to carry deadly diseases.

How about one that stinks?

Wendy opened the door to the school basement. "You sure that there is a VHS player in here?" she asked me.

"Yep," I confirmed. "There are plenty of those players down here. I have seen teachers wheel them up and down the stairs."

"That must be tough to do."

"It is. One time, a teacher accidentally let go of one, and it fell down the stairs. Thank gosh that it did not break. That teacher would have been in huge trouble."

"Just be glad, Tris, that we do not have to transport it up."

I let out a giggle. "So true."

I went first and felt for a light switch. When I did and flipped it, Wendy and I were greeted with bright light.

And a skunk. A flippin' skunk!

It was right in front of us. It raised its furry head and sniffed the air.

"Oh, no!" Wendy and I cried. "Not a skunk!"