SEVENTY ONE

»»————««

CAMILLE

"I'll always look after her, Milan," I held my breath as I quietly closed the bathroom door after hearing my father's name leaving Charles' lips. We were in Maranello, where we'd headed immediately after the Russian Grand Prix, to spend some time here before flying to Japan. I had no idea what Charles was talking to my dad about, my heart pounding against my chest because he seemed to know something I didn't. "I love her. I'll cherish her until the day I die. This is everything I've always wanted, ever since the day we met."

I remained silent as I listened harder in the hope of hearing Papa's voice on the other end of the line, but it was pretty impossible. I missed my parents so much and with Charles' busy schedule, we always seemed to be on the move. He promised that we would fly to Amsterdam to visit them soon and I was unbelievably excited.

"Thank you, Milan, this means so much to me and I know how happy it will make Camille," I lifted my brow at the sound of Charles' voice. I was awfully confused but I didn't want to question him because it was obviously private. "We'll see you very soon. I'll call you again. Bye."

I let out a steady breath when I heard his phone locking, Charles' feet padding across the carpet but falling silent when he flopped onto the bed. I let out a sigh of relief - he was yet to realise that I'd overheard some of his conversation, but he didn't need to know that. I waited a few more seconds before opening and closing the bathroom door again, clearing my throat as I wrapped my dressing gown tighter around my body. The hot bath I'd taken was lovely, but I was so desperate now to climb into bed beside Charles. We spent the day exploring, and he took me to the Ferrari factory again, a place which I was so amazed by as soon as I stepped through the door. I loved this town and part of me never wanted to leave.

"There you are," Charles sat up and ran his fingers through his hair, before patting the space beside him. He didn't have the same look on his face like in Singapore when I finished in the bathroom and Max was in our room. He seemed more relaxed this time, a soft smile resting on his lips. "Was your shower nice?"

"Very relaxing," I smiled, taking up the space on the bed beside him and crossing my legs whilst Charles dragged his fingers over my bare thighs. My heart began to beat a little faster. "I love you."

"I love you, mon amour," Charles wrapped his arm across my stomach, pressing his lips to the tip of my nose whilst my hands dropped to his lap. "I love being here with you, spending all of my time with you... it's amazing, all I ever wanted."

I sighed as silence engulfed the hotel room and ourselves, Charles' hand resting over my abdomen after I lay myself beside him, resting my head in the carefully plumped pillow. I was so comfortable in his presence and evenings like this, no matter where in the world we found ourselves, made me so happy.

"How badly do you want to have a family?" Charles removed his arm from my waist and he rolled onto his side, his right hand lifting to my cheek. When his fingertips glided across my warm face, I forced myself closer towards him as I thought about his question - I knew my answer immediately.

"More than anything," I smiled, biting down on my lip. The thought of having a little baby or two to hold on my arms and treasure forever filled me with warmth and delight. Charles rested his hand in the dip of my sides. "Even more so with you. I've always wanted to be a mother and to have a family, ever since I was a little girl. When mama used to tell me about how lucky they were to welcome me, I knew that I wanted to share that connection with my own child one day."

"I picture you and I having such a beautiful family," Charles' accent was thick on his tongue as he chewed on his lip. To me, he seemed a little embarrassed, maybe somewhat shy, but I thought it was the most adorable thing in the world. "A boy and a girl, maybe?"

"I've always wanted a little girl, and to name her Emilia. I promised Max I would incorporate him into my baby's name," I giggled, my cheeks flushing red as I thought about the hundreds of promises I made to my best friend whilst I was growing up. "It's a good job I like a name which is extremely similar to his middle name."

"I'd be happy with Emilia, although, for a girl, I love Jules," Charles swallowed hard and I heard his breath catching in his throat. I smiled at him in an encouraging manner. "I've always wanted to honour him, along with my papa. Jules is such a perfect name for a little boy or girl."

"I agree," I sucked on my lip. "I adore Theodore for a boy. Little baby Theo."

"Maybe we're sorted with baby names," Charles wiggled his eyebrows to tease me and I felt my cheeks burning up. I wanted nothing more than to start a family with him, even at my young age of twenty one, but almost twenty two. "You'd be such a brilliant mother, my God, I can picture it and it all seems so perfect to me."

I didn't really know what I was supposed to say to him, but I allowed Charles to shuffle onto his back after removing his shirt from his chest. It was getting a little too warm in here to handle. I allowed my eyes to glance across his chest before my fingertips made contact with his skin. Carefully, I lifted my face onto Charles' chest and rested it comfortably, before reaching for his hand and placing it on his abdomen. My fingers moved in gentle circles around the palm of his hand, soft hums on my lips as Charles tightened his grip on me.

"You're so beautiful, you know that, don't you?" His voice was at a quiet level of a careful whisper, his lips brushing across my temple as he spoke. "In this light, I think you look so beautiful - more than ever."

"Will we start a family one day, Charles?" I really wanted to start a family fairly early. I'd always dreamed of being a mum in my mid twenties, but part of me believed it was unacceptable. I wanted to be happy with Charles and our babies, when they came along.

"Of course we will, mon amour," he almost giggled as he spoke. To be honest, he was still a child himself. "You and I, here in Maranello, with our wonderful family, huh? I'll give you everything you've ever wished for, Camille."

"Is that what you called my papa about?" I sucked my lower lip into my mouth. Initially, I never intended for it to slip, because I didn't want him to know I overheard his conversation, but I couldn't help myself. I was intrigued.

"You heard me?" He sounded a little nervous and as I lifted my head, I noticed the fearful look on his face. "How much did you hear?"

"Not a lot," I answered honestly, shrugging my shoulders as his face seemed to readjust and a smile lifted on his lips. "Is that the reason why?"

"I promised you that I'd give you a happy life," Charles exhaled, his chest sinking as the words left his mouth. "And I promised your papa the exact same; I'd treat you how you deserve, whilst cherishing you and looking after you. I told him that I'd give you the best life you could ever wish for. I told him that I want to give you everything."

"Everything?" I lifted my brows. That was a pretty big commitment on Charles' behalf, but already, he brought so much to my life and there were only a few things left on my list.

He flashed me a halfhearted smile, "every little thing you've ever dreamed of."

»»————««