THIRTY NINE

»»————««

CAMILLE

I shrugged my shoulders. Maybe my knocking wasn't loud enough. I didn't try again and instead, I burst into the room with my boyfriend's name about to fall from my lips. I was so excited to see him, to kiss him, and to hold him in my arms. I was so in love with him and even though he was disappointed, today's result was enough for me.

My stomach fell as I stood in the doorway, my heart preparing to fall out of my chest as tears began to burn my eyes. My whole world imploded, everything around me crumbling down, leaving me hurt and injured in the corner. My chest ached. It stung with a burning sensation, as my head started to spin. Darkness seemed to cloud over me, my limbs tingling with numbness as a state of panic and disbelief washed over me. This wasn't happening to me. Surely, this wasn't real.

Charles sat on the edge of the sofa, with a small and petite blonde girl perched in his lap. Her arms wrapped loosely around his neck, whilst he cupped her neck with one hand, his other resting on her thigh. Their lips - they moved so slowly together, sharing a kiss which looked so passionate and warm from an outside perspective. A kiss which appeared to be loving, one shared by two souls who were fighting to be with one another. The girl was so different to me, in so many different ways. Her skin was paler, her hair was a dirty blonde and she was much smaller than I was; my skin was tanned, my hair a deep brown, and I had gentle curves and thick thighs. She was pretty. Shock and hurt raged through my veins. My Charles would never do this to me. My Charles loved me.

"Charles." His name was the only thing which I could force to roll off of my tongue. I couldn't cry right now, despite my emotions running at an all time high. There was no tears forming quick enough in my eyes to cry. I didn't really feel upset, just hurt, a little angry, and disappointed because I didn't think Charles would do this to me.

I didn't think he would cheat on me.

He pushed the petite girl away from his lap. I didn't really recognise her, but her face looked vaguely familiar, as if I'd seen her on Instagram for a brief second. I couldn't put a name to her face, but I didn't want to anyway. She'd been all over my boyfriend, leaving her taste on his lips. I hoped to God that she could taste mine on them and that she felt bad for kissing somebody who supposedly was in a long term, happy relationship. Fucking bullshit.

Charles stood up and he stepped closer to me, but I slammed the door behind me and backed up against it. I was shaking with anger. I didn't want to even look at him right now; he made me feel sick. My stomach churned whilst I watched Charles fish for words in his head. He'd fucked up and he knew it. The regret was written all over his face.

"I didn't mean to," he shook his head and held his hand out towards my stomach. He wanted me to keep my distance. Sure. "Honestly, I didn't initiate this."

"You didn't mean to kiss a fucking girl who isn't me? Who the fuck are you?" I shook my head, but I was yet to raise my voice. I noticed the girl out of the corner of my eye, watching discreetly as she stood timidly in the corner, but with a smirk curling at either side of her lips. "Didn't you think about me?"

"Of course I did," Charles couldn't stop shaking his head no. He knew how bad this was, that it was a stupid decision to make. As his eyes ghosted across my face, he knew in an instant that he'd lost me. "She came on to me. I swear to you, Camille, I didn't even know she was here."