FOURTEEN

»»————««

CAMILLE

I stirred from my sleep when I felt Max poking my side. We boarded our flight from Nice to Amsterdam at five and we were expected to land just after seven, because we were delayed for a short while. I took advantage of the boring flight, because I slept most of the way. It felt like all Charles and I had done recently was fly from country to country, but this time, we were going home for Christmas with Max, and I was so excited.

"Wake up, sleepyhead," Max's voice was quiet in my ear, and I opened my eyes out of shock at the sound of his voice. I looked at him with a smile on my face, as he nodded his head in the direction of Charles, who was still fast asleep. "You should wake your boyfriend."

I nodded and sighed, as I reached for Charles' cheeks and began to run my fingers across them slowly. He muttered when he recognised my fingers making contact with his skin, a heavy sigh leaving his lips as he rubbed his eyes before opening them and turning his head to look at me. Charles sat closest to the window as I positioned myself between both boys, so that as I slept, my head could rest on both their shoulders as I moved around.

"Hi, baby," I smiled, whilst leaning up to kiss Charles' warm skin. "We're about to land."

He nodded, before I turned back to look at Max as a voice came over the speakers in the cabin. I barely paid any attention to it; my seatbelt was already fastened and I was prepared to land. I was so excited to see my parents, Sophie and Victoria. I couldn't believe Christmas had rolled around already.

As the wheels of the plane hit the ground, I was beginning to feel more refreshed after my nap. Charles was grumpy because we'd woken him up and he refused to say a word whilst he brought himself round properly. I giggled at him, before unbuckling my seatbelt when the small sign above us was turned off. I was so happy to be back home, in Amsterdam, for Christmas. This was my favourite time of year, and everything about Christmas was one thousand times better this year, because Charles was here to celebrate with us. I was overwhelmed; I couldn't believe that my boyfriend was by my side to celebrate our first Christmas together.

Charles was tired and he wasn't afraid to show it as we collected our luggage and made our way through customs. He lazily held onto my fingers and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him every time he slowed down behind me. It was still quite early and after sleeping during the flight, I couldn't understand how Charles was still tired. All we'd done since arriving home from Belgium was sleep and even I was beginning to get bored of lying in bed all of the time.

--

"Mama!" Max noticed my mum standing on the other side of the arrivals lounge and he rushed ahead of Charles and I, opening his arms for mama to step into. She held him for a few seconds; it was so lovely to see them together because their relationship hadn't changed one bit since we were younger. "It's so good to see you. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, love," mama left a quick kiss on Max's forehead, before he stepped aside and allowed me to enter my mother's embrace. I called her as soon as Charles and I landed in Nice to explain what happened in Hasselt and hearing her voice over the phone only made me more desperate to come back for Christmas. "My baby girl... are you okay?"

"I'm better now, I don't want to think about it," I shook my head, before Charles stepped over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder as I shuffled away from mama. "I just want to focus on these next few weeks before the boys get busy again."