FORTY ONE

»»————««

CAMILLE

This was messed up.

I trusted Charles with everything I had and I couldn't believe that he would ever do this to me. I honestly thought he loved me. I thought I'd been lucky and found somebody special; I really believed Charles was the one for me, and that I'd found the love of my life. He treated me so well, and made me feel so safe and secure, until now, when he ripped my heart out of my chest and threw it onto the ground, letting it shatter on impact.

Since rushing to Red Bull, Max hadn't left my side, apart from when he took himself to Charles, much to my dismay, and had a 'serious word' with him. He didn't tell me what was said, but I trusted that he said exactly what he wanted to. Charles would be too afraid to come near me again after Max's time with him. I was so lucky to have Max, because if I didn't, I would be totally messed up. Max kept me sane, and he stopped me from doing something I'd come to regret. It was only Monday, and we returned home from Austria yesterday evening, but even still, his support was the only thing I desired right now. I'd not left my bed since we returned, only to use the bathroom, but I'd not eaten or been outside. Max slept in my room last night, holding me in my arms and keeping me there whilst I cried every single last tear out of my body. The pain was totally unbearable. I was so hurt by Charles' actions, and it broke my heart to see the image of Giada wrapped around him flash before my eyes almost every time I blinked.

"You don't need him, Cami," Max used his fingers to trace circles over my knuckles. He sat with his back against the headboard, whilst I lay slumped and only using the pillows to feel remotely comfortable. I looked at the door before me, hoping and praying that this was all some kind of sick joke and Charles would walk through it any moment now to take me home. I knew how wrong I was, and he was probably soaking it up with Giada in his apartment, praising her body as if she was a Goddess; something he only ever did for me. "You are worth so much more than that. No man deserves you, because you're too pure for that."

"I love him." My throat was dry from crying all throughout the night. I could only croak a reply to Max and hope that it wasn't inaudible. He stopped running circles over my skin and squeezed my hand instead, giving me some sense of reassurance, or at least hoping to. It didn't work. My chest ached as I thought about my boyfriend, kissing another beautiful girl, one who he once was in love with.

"I know. Trust me, Cami, I know how much it hurts to have your heart broken, but it's all going to be okay," Max's words made me shudder, because I broke his heart. Even though he was with Dilara now, and he was happy, I still held responsibility for hurting him and breaking his heart in two. I was glad that he found Dilara, because I knew she could love him like he deserved, and I didn't want any less for Max. He couldn't have me, but he could have love which would be just as pure, and thankfully, Dilara gave that to him. "I won't leave you. I'll make sure that somebody is with you all the time, if that's what you want. I'll make sure you're okay."

I nodded. I didn't really know what to say to him, because I'd apologised and said thank you more in the past twelve hours than ever before in my life. Max sighed, lifting his arm and wrapping it across my shoulders, dragging my body closer towards his. My hands remained in my lap, and I barely moved a muscle as Max dragged me closer into his chest. A loud sob left my lips when our bodies made contact, my head falling forwards, before Max cradled me gently.

"Hey, it's okay. Shh, Cami, you're alright," I listened to Max's heart pounding against his chest. He ran his fingers along the skin on my upper arms, gently rocking my body from each side, because he knew it would calm me down. I didn't think it would work right now. "Charles won't come anywhere near you, okay? You won't have to see him. I'll make sure he comes nowhere near you. If he tries, he'll have me to deal with. He won't hurt you ever again. You trust me, don't you? You know that I'll keep you safe."

"Yes." Max was so overprotective of me, but it'd always been that way. So many people found it weird whilst we were growing up, but I would've been so lost without him.

"Have you told your parents?" Max pressed his lips to my forehead, and I could feel just how tense he was over this whole situation. I felt bad for dragging him into it when it was Charles' fault, but I needed somebody to look out for me at times like this. I knew that after Stefan hurt me when I was younger, Max wasn't going to leave my side through anything, no matter how minor the problem.

"Not yet," I breathed. The thought of telling mama and papa that Charles, the boy they'd welcomed so lovingly into their home and our family, had cheated on me and left me absolutely heartbroken. They would be so upset, and the idea of me being with anyone else romantically would be frowned upon. Besides, photographs were circulating online, so I'd be surprised if they'd not seen them already. "I can't do it yet, plus, it's all over the internet. They've probably already seen things and are too afraid to ask me in case it's actually true."

"You don't need to tell them until you feel comfortable, alright, Cami? Charles fucked up. Charles lost the most amazing woman he could ever find, and that woman is you," Max brushed my hair away from over my eyes and tucked the strands behind my ear. He smiled at me. "Honestly. He's fucked it. He would rather be with her over you? Silly choice. You're so beautiful, and he knows it. You're the kindest woman I've ever met, with the purest soul and I'm not just saying that because you're my best friend. I mean that."

"Thanks." I wriggled my way out of Max's grip. I felt a little suffocated and I just wanted to have some space. It still felt surreal, because I was so adamant that Charles wouldn't to that to me. I thought maybe I was the issue; I wasn't good enough for him and he needed somebody better. It hurt to even think like that, but the truth was painful sometimes. I sighed. My chest felt empty. I was surprised my heart was still pumping because I was so distraught. It hurt so much and even Max's company and reassurance wasn't enough to make me feel better. I didn't think I'd ever feel better.

"I love you, Camille. I'll be here for you, whenever you need me. I'll make sure that you're safe and comfortable, both here in Monaco and at every race weekend. If you want me to hold you whilst you sleep, I'll be here." Max's words caused a sigh of relief to leave my mouth, but I could only think about his relationship, because I didn't want him to go through this again.

"What about Dilara?" I wiped the tears away from my cheeks and sniffled, my nose becoming blocked once more from the amount of tears I'd been crying. This was tough; I never imagined heartbreak to feel like this.

"Dilara just wants you to be alright. I'll still see her, and she can still spend the night, but things will be a little different for a while. She's okay with that." Max pressed a kiss to my forehead again and I allowed him to pull  me closer and wrap his arms tightly around me. I needed this. As much as I tried to deny it, I needed him more than I'd needed him in a long time.

"Don't be mad at him, at races. Don't hurt him, Max, because he doesn't deserve to be hurt," I shook my head as I thought about Charles. My Charles; the one who supposedly loved me and wanted to keep me safe and happy. "I know that you're mad and you're upset, but please don't be mad at him when you see him. I still love him, and I always will, so please, for me, don't hurt him."

Max didn't say anything. I knew how frustrated he was and he would punch Charles until he was crying and begging him to stop, but I wouldn't allow that. I would be angry at Max for doing something like that after listening to me beg him not to. I didn't want to push it, for my sake and for Max's, but I hoped that he was listening to what I had to say.

"I just wish I'd fallen in love with you and kept it that way," I admitted, feeling a warm tear slip from my eye and roll gently down my cheeks. Max turned his head to face me and he cupped my cheeks with his fingers. I shook my head. I wish I'd asked him to kiss me again when he did it for the first time. I would rather have fallen completely for him instead of Charles. Max would never hurt me like Charles did. "Like right now, I look at everything I've done and I think falling in love with Charles Leclerc was the stupidest mistake I've ever made. But you, Max Verstappen, I honestly think falling in love with you was the best mistake I will ever make."

»»————««